PDA

View Full Version : Twin Spot Gobies

fishstick3
11/12/2009, 10:26 AM
Hi so I have posted on a different thread about cyano. Acouple of the people mentioned getting new lights, which i did, more water changes, which i did, less feeding and more flow which i did ,they also mentioned getting a sand sifter so I did.
I went to my LFS and they recommended twin spot gobies ( a mated pair) since i have a 12 gallon and could not have most sand sifters. They are great and i picked up a bottle of dr. Gs copepods even though i have put in a bottle before i just want to make sure they are healthy and happy. they are my first bought fish, (i catch most of what i have had)
they are the only fish in the tank but i do have a coral banded shrimp and two shrimp i just caught in the sargassum. Please just let me know if there is anything i need to do. the reef store assured me that they would be fine in my tank i should just switch them out when they get bigger(they are still really tiny. please just let me knoiw what i should do
i dont want to screw this up

olemiss reb
11/12/2009, 10:45 AM
Make sure they are eating frozen, they are quickly going to deplete the fauna in the limited amount of sand. Personally I'd return them, until a bigger tank is an option.

fishstick3
11/12/2009, 10:51 AM
they are eating live brine and i added copepods. yeah i am considering taking them back they are my first bought fish and i am so nervous so maybe i will but i may need to wait until later to do it. please let me know what you think

csueeman
11/12/2009, 11:24 AM
These guys are tough. I think you are better off with doing more flow, better skimmer, and higher flow. If I remember correctly, twin spots don't like high flow to begin with. I had one jump on me so make sure the tank is covered. I also did live black worms to help keep them going as well.

You can train them onto frozen food, but it is difficult. It depends on the personality of the fish. I have had some that see me spot feed and come swimming over quickly, and others who swam away as fast as possible.

They are awesome fish so if you do decide to keep them, I wish you the best of luck!

nikon187
11/12/2009, 12:17 PM
Twinspot gobies need a much bigger tank than a 12g. They won't get enough of what they need from the little ammount of sand in there. I would return them to the store. There is no sand sifter good for a 12g

fishstick3
11/13/2009, 12:25 PM
french toast :( they are so cool oh well i didnt start doing this to kill fish so back they go:( i have a powerhead should i get another that seems like alot and the cyano is on the sand now and no where else. could it be that i dont think my protien skimmer is working right? also do you reccomend any cute tiny fish for a 12 gallon?