PDA

View Full Version : Red Wire Algae overrun help needed

reefer_93
11/12/2009, 03:20 PM
Alright so I have some kind of red wire algae overrunning my tank. It started off as like a few bristles on a frag I think about 6 months ago. First off: 75 gallon tank; 25 or so in my sump and 15 in my refug. My tank is 8-9 mo. old. My fish: 2 bar gobies, Royal Gramma, Yellow Coris Wrasse, Eyelash Blennie, Flame Tail Blenny, 2 Osc. Clowns. Corals: softies and LPS

First few months I was doing bi monthly water changes about 20% then for about 5 months I showed poor reefing and only changed about 20% every 4-5 weeks. On top of that, for the most part that time I had a skimmer that wasn't pulling much. I feed pretty sparsly, a little mysis or spectrum pellets about 4-6 times/week.

Anyway, the algae spread and I didn't worry too much at first because it's not ugly and wasn't taking over. Now all along I was showing 0 Nitrites and 0 Nitrates but obviously there was enough with lack of water changes to let the algae spread like crazy. My chaeto is also growing a lot. I run a carbon and gfo reactor. I haven't tested phosp. rec but it has always been 0 when I did.

Lights: T5 8 mo old bulbs. Blue/actinic on 9 hrs. Whites on 7 hrs. Obviously this can be reduced.

I just got a black longspine urchin, heard they might eat the stuff. But with as much as it's taking over he's not going to get most of it.

Controlled Temp 76.7; ph 8.05-8.4 dep day/time alk/ca normal

Options please for me? reduce lights, yes. Lights off 24/7 for a while? I am back on track with 15-20% changes every 7-10 days. Any suggestions? Is there any way I am going to get rid of this completely? Thank you for any help.

http://www.glassrave.com/images/fulltank1109.jpg
http://www.glassrave.com/images/algae1109.jpg

luther1200
11/12/2009, 03:34 PM
looks like turf algae. Thats tough to beat. I have a few patches here and there. Trochus snails eat it, and my Sally Lightfoot crab will eat it, but I only have 1 so he doesn't do to much. I would be really regular wuth your WC and try to find something that eats it good.

reefer_93
11/12/2009, 04:17 PM
I just read someone got rid of it using Coral Snow - I guess it neutralizes some acids or something. Anyone do this or know of this?

BLKTANG
11/12/2009, 04:19 PM
I just read someone got rid of it using Coral Snow - I guess it neutralizes some acids or something. Anyone do this or know of this?

IMO something like Coral Snow would just add excess nutrients into the system.

reefer_93
11/12/2009, 05:03 PM
the stuff I'm talking about is Zeovit Coral Snow.. not sure it contains nutrients ... Zeovit "It’s a liquid secondary biological facilitator for elements, for example BB & PIF. It can be dosed with every element without causing a problem, also with AAHC or CV for example. It contains a natural kind of Calcium, Magnesium & Carbonate. It has a particle size of 2.5µ so it has the optimal size to get picked up by SPS polyps. ..... It also neutralizes undesirable acids and is helpful with many other problems like cyano or slime algae."

idk

Mako
11/12/2009, 07:14 PM
Can't really give you an idea from your pictures. You would have to get some nice close up's to get any decent input.

I did battle with red turf years ago. Best identification I could get at the time was Asparagopsis taxiformis in the sporophyte stage. Hopefully this is not what you have as I found that stuff unbeatable. Others have reported success with Mexican Turbo's and Diadema urchins.

Good luck!

Stripe01
11/12/2009, 07:38 PM
My tuxedo urchin eats it up like crazy.

almees
11/12/2009, 09:54 PM
I went through something like this 2 years ago. I had no luck beating it ended up pulling the rock out and letting it bake under the sun for a month. Cleaned it and baked it again for another month. It took 100% of my tank out. I basically started over and have had no more of it. I ended up taking the tank down and resetting it up.

I really hope you have somethig different then i had. Mine grew out more then your pictures show. Good luck ......

Hope you can beat this with out doing the extream I went through.

Now I don't put anything in my tank that looks like it has red on it :)

jda
11/12/2009, 10:03 PM
Urchins or turbo snails. Remove as much of it as you can by hand and let a dozen turbos go crazy. When they are done, give most of them away or they will starve.

Peter Eichler
11/13/2009, 12:10 AM
I had an issue with it in my frag tank a while back, Mexican Turbos wiped it out.

jmeader
11/13/2009, 07:10 AM
Generally for any red algae to grow you must have elevated organics in the system. Double check your skimmer and AC.

mempho reefer
11/13/2009, 07:15 AM
+1 for the Mexican tubos. They are major algaenators!!