PDA

View Full Version : Last fish for a 29 gallon FOWLR

dwculp
11/12/2009, 07:49 PM
I setup a 29 gallon FOWLR in our schools biology classroom in September. I used dead, dry rock from a reef I ran for a few years in another school. I am also running a CPR BakPak 2 skimmer on the tank. The tank cycled and I added a small Clarkii Clown. Once I was satisfied that the parameters were stable I added three small azure damsels, this was 2 weeks ago. At first the clarkii bullied the damsels keeping them pinned into the rocks, things are better now and everyone swims freely and the clarkii chases them into the rocks only occasionally and they immediately come back out. Azure damsels are small and one of the most passive damsels you will ever meet.

Anyways, the water parameters are steady at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, 77 degrees F, 1.025 SG. I want to add one last fish, I was thinking either:

Flame hawkfish
Bicolor dottyback
Royal Gramma

Whatever is added must be able to put up with the Clarkii. Any thoughts or ideas?

The tank will be taken down in May and the livestock sold back to the LFS as the district kills the AC during the summer.

Video of the tank taken today:

<object width="576" height="432" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1287191936737" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1287191936737" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="576" height="432"></embed></object>

dwculp
11/13/2009, 10:00 AM
Any thoughts? I plan to add the new fish either today after school or Sunday when I gio in to grade.

jenjen
11/13/2009, 10:29 AM
I vote for the flame hawkfish... love their colour and it would be a nice contrast to the constant movement of the damsels.

dwculp
11/13/2009, 07:42 PM
The Hawkfish was my #1 choice but in the end I got a bicolor dottyback and added some nassarius snails. I thought the dottyback would be aggressive enough to put up with the clarkii and the damsels.

jenjen
11/13/2009, 09:39 PM
Do you have any pics of the new addition yet?

dwculp
11/14/2009, 09:01 AM
No, after drip acclimating him for an hour he dove for the rocks when I put him in the tank. I am here at school today for all day professional development so I went to check on him and could not find him anywhere. I feared the worst, I defrosted a cube of brine shrimp and fed the tank, he cautiously darted out if the rocks and grabbed food and went back to hiding. I am going to leave the lights out the rest of the weekend to give him time to feel comfortable.

jenjen
11/14/2009, 09:12 AM
Ohhhh, poor little guy! Looking forward to seeing some pics once he makes an appearance!

dwculp
11/15/2009, 04:03 PM
The dottyback is doing great, added him to the tank on Friday and he dove for the rocks. On Saturday I barely saw him, he found a cave below a rock and would only dart out for food. Today he was comfortable and all over the place.

My skimmer quit skimming about a week and a half ago. I couldnt figure out what was going on, took the skimmer apart during a water change and clean - broken impeller on on the maxi-jet 1200. Replaced the impeller + did a quick and easy mod I saw on the internet to get more air into the maxi-jet venturi and WOW! I have NEVER seen it skim this good! Hopefully that will help out with the slight dusting of diatoms I am getting now.

<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1289193266769" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1289193266769" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

romsoccer12
11/15/2009, 04:10 PM
i say add a sixline next!

dwculp
11/15/2009, 04:12 PM
LOL....Its full now, 3 small azure damsels, the Clarkii and dottyback make it fully stocked, at least to me. Some would say it was overstocked.

BANANAHANDS
11/15/2009, 10:37 PM
Flame Angel!

dwculp
11/15/2009, 10:41 PM
Flame Angel!

LOL.....would love to have a Flame Angel, but, the tank is now full, I decided on a bicolor dottyback. See the video above.

BANANAHANDS
11/15/2009, 10:43 PM
Nice! I just added a Flame Angel to my 29g yesterday and I can't stop starring at it. Good luck with your tank.