PDA

View Full Version : calcium reactor or dosing???

ctniners
11/12/2009, 08:03 PM
Hi guys.....I have a 75 gal all sps....I was thinking about replacing my 4 koralias #3 for 2 vortech mp40...but I decided to save myself the $800.00 and invested in something else or couple of things....

Right now I am only dosing about 1 oz (30 ml) of b-ionic of each part....so my question to you guys is, do I just go for a one gal gravity dosing

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=MD4315&idCartRow=17519241&isKit=0&child=MD4315

or do I make the investment (over $600.00) for a calcium reactor

http://www.marinedepot.com/Korallin_Calcium_Reactor_3002_PACKAGE_1_Calcium_Reactor_Packages_without_a_CO2_Gas_Tank-Korallin-KL3002-FICRCPWO-KTKLCP31-vi.html

....my issue is that I hear that it is a pain to set up and then I have to dose limewater anyway to control the ph, so that puts me back to square one...plus I need to buy a ph probe and a second pump.......what is your advice?

jjstecchino
11/12/2009, 08:10 PM
On a 75 gal tank unless your corals require an unusually large amount of Ca it may be more economical to continue dosing b-ionic.
There is a very good article (http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/44-calcium-reactors-in-out-and-everything-in-between-part-1) in this month reefkeeping magazine that delve exactly into your question. Very good read. Highly recommended.

arredondojason
11/12/2009, 09:05 PM
i am running a calcuim reactor but i have a 240G display so 2 part would get way more expensive in the long run. just depends on your tank size and or how much your tank uses up.

jda
11/12/2009, 09:50 PM
It depends more on coral demand than tank size. I chose to buy a reactor on a 90G SPS just to make things easier and to take some work off of myself. Those things might take a ounce today, but hopefull will take 2 ounces in a few months (growing).

I have never had a reactor mess with the PH of the tank. I have a korallin and the unit will trap the excess CO2 so that it doesn't enter the tank. Most of the PH issues in most tanks are from airborne CO2, not effluent (assuming that you are not putting excess CO2 into your system).

They are not a pain to set up and are very reliable if you buy a decent unit, regulator and feed pump. I go about every year to get my bottle filled and replace the media every 7 or 8 months. You do not need a PH probe.

For the last 6 years, here his my list of supplies - Korallin 3002, Maxijet 900 feed pump, bottle, M3 regulator and some CO2 safe tubing. Recently, I had to buy a new $125 regulator since mine got unstable, but that is cheap for 6 years... add in ARM and a bottle refill ($12) about every year and it is not too bad. Certainly, a jug of driveway heat and a bag of baking soda is cheaper, but not easier for me, so I am happy with my purchase. :)

FWIW - every dripper that I have every had got clogged and was a POS. Bought a dosing pump and used it with 5G buckets of cal and alk on my other reef. It was easy and reliable, but it was not cheap either.

ctniners
11/13/2009, 08:37 AM
thanks....very good info......I guess I can either go with the gravity dripping for really cheap and have the risk of having a clog on the line.....or I can go for about $250.00 for two pretty good pumps....I just dont think I want to spend $600 plus for a calcium reactor....thank you for the inputs as always