PDA

View Full Version : glass or acrylic sump?

danrobberg
11/12/2009, 08:26 PM
im redoing the plumbing on my tank and have been using a rubbermaid toat as a sump. time to upgrade, only problem is im having a problem deciding which kind of sump to use, glass or acrylic. either way i would be putting acrylic or whatever it is they sell at lows in as baffles. i had a glass sump crack before thats why i use the rubbermaid toat now but that was from my own stupidity. still i dont want to go through than nightmare again. coast is not an issue here so what do you all think???

phorge
11/12/2009, 11:19 PM
If you use an acrylic sump, use acrylic baffles. If you use a glass sump, use glass baffles. Do not try using acrylic baffles in a glass sump. Over time the acrylic absorbs water and will swell putting pressure on the glass and will break it. Also, silicone doesn't adhere well to acrylic anyway.

troylee
11/12/2009, 11:27 PM
use acrylic its nice...just a example..
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p160/aliyasue/work/96.jpg

danrobberg
11/13/2009, 12:14 AM
thanks for the input. i had no idea you couldnt use both together like that

Acrylics
11/13/2009, 06:59 AM
If you use an acrylic sump, use acrylic baffles. If you use a glass sump, use glass baffles. Do not try using acrylic baffles in a glass sump. Over time the acrylic absorbs water and will swell putting pressure on the glass and will break it. Also, silicone doesn't adhere well to acrylic anyway.Not quite, acrylic will absorb at most 1.6% of it's own weight in moisture, and will grow a little, but very little. I only know of one tank cracking due to this and the fit was so tight the owner essentially wedged the acrylic in there, don't do that :)

If you use acrylic baffles in an glass sump, just leave at least 1/16" on both ends to allow for this, preferably 1/8" for better sealing - no different that glass in this regard.

Silicone sticks to acrylic just fine IME, not well enough for structural purposes but for baffles - just fine.

thanks for the input. i had no idea you couldnt use both together like thatYou can and many do. While some might say use glass w/ glass and acrylic w/ acrylic, I say use whatever works best for you. If you want to buy a glass tank and add acrylic baffles - it's fine, go for it :)

James

lordofthereef
11/13/2009, 07:04 AM
Not quite, acrylic will absorb at most 1.6% of it's own weight in moisture, and will grow a little, but very little. I only know of one tank cracking due to this and the fit was so tight the owner essentially wedged the acrylic in there, don't do that :)

If you use acrylic baffles in an glass sump, just leave at least 1/16" on both ends to allow for this, preferably 1/8" for better sealing - no different that glass in this regard.

Silicone sticks to acrylic just fine IME, not well enough for structural purposes but for baffles - just fine.

You can and many do. While some might say use glass w/ glass and acrylic w/ acrylic, I say use whatever works best for you. If you want to buy a glass tank and add acrylic baffles - it's fine, go for it :)

James

+1

Keep those skeptics at bay James :lolspin:

pgammon
11/13/2009, 07:56 AM
I've had acrylic baffles in my glass sump for several years, it's worked well for me. HTH.
Phyllis

danrobberg
11/13/2009, 11:33 AM
thanks for the input. i emaild glasscages last night to get a price quote on a 32x16x16 acrylic sump with four baffles in it and they emaild me back today. 275 bucks i couldnt believe it. so i want to build mine out of a 40 breader which is a little bigger but im not going to pay 275 for a sump plus shipping. can anyone on this forum build one for less maybe???

troylee
11/13/2009, 12:39 PM
just use the breeders with some acrylic baffles very cheap very simple but effetive...:)

phorge
11/13/2009, 01:35 PM
I stand corrected. I was just repeating what I've been told and had read, but I am by no means going to argue with James. This is good info to know for a future build of mine.

Thanks!

danrobberg
11/13/2009, 08:09 PM
i think ive decided to go with a glass tank for a sump. now the debate is weather to use a 40 breader or a 30 gallon. what do you think???