PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY got a MH setup!! DE Bulb question...

bwade209
11/12/2009, 10:49 PM
Picked up a 2X250w MH, 4X65w PC Actinic, 6 LED fixture for $100 today...not my first choice of light setups but the price was right. Wondering what double ended bulbs are best for color/growth...I've heard a lot on Phoenix 14000k but recently read a review saying the guy liked his 150w Radium 20000k...got me wondering....can you use a 150w MH bulb with a 250w ballast?

Are the EVC bulbs any good? I dont have to replace the MH's for a few months but would like to pick some up to have on hand. Thanks :)

nasotang
11/13/2009, 12:28 AM
The wattage of the bulb should match the wattage of the ballast, so you can't run a 150w bulb with a 250watt ballast. For double ended bulbs I've only used the Phoenix 14k and have liked them a lot. The Phoenix is a great all around bulb. Why not try them first, since you can't go wrong with them? Then if you don't like them, you'll have something to compare the new bulbs to.

What bulbs are on the fixture now?

upster
11/13/2009, 03:56 AM
+1 to the phoenix

It was my first bulb (and still is) after making my big upgrade. I couldn't be happier. I think I will likely add actinics soon, but it seems like you are ahead of the game.

bwade209
11/14/2009, 01:38 AM
Thats what I've always assumed...he just stated he had bought and used some phoenix 250w and went back to using his Radium 150w instead....maybe he has multiple fixtures laying around...must be nice :D

The bulbs on it right now are more than likely what came with the fixture...nasty yellowish color in the tank (but the actinics help hide it) Couldn't find any writing on the bulbs so I'm guessing they are just cheap ones. I'd like to get a couple of MH bulbs where I could leave the actinics off during the day and just use them in the morning/evening but keep the "blue" coloring.

A question about actinics.....What are some good actinic PC bulbs? I've always used T5s...I might just gut out the PCs and put some retro T5s in their place when the time comes...

As far as actinics go, what would be best? Leave it alone with the PCs, retro T5s or retro VHOs? I'm still in the dark when it comes to VHOs HEHE I am looking for at least one side to be darker...well, just "not-so-bright" with a blueish purple color to really make the colors "pop"

Captain
11/14/2009, 07:42 AM
IMO you can't beat Phoenix

rkb
11/14/2009, 08:21 AM
Thats what I've always assumed...he just stated he had bought and used some phoenix 250w and went back to using his Radium 150w instead....maybe he has multiple fixtures laying around...must be nice :D

The bulbs on it right now are more than likely what came with the fixture...nasty yellowish color in the tank (but the actinics help hide it) Couldn't find any writing on the bulbs so I'm guessing they are just cheap ones. I'd like to get a couple of MH bulbs where I could leave the actinics off during the day and just use them in the morning/evening but keep the "blue" coloring.

A question about actinics.....What are some good actinic PC bulbs? I've always used T5s...I might just gut out the PCs and put some retro T5s in their place when the time comes...

As far as actinics go, what would be best? Leave it alone with the PCs, retro T5s or retro VHOs? I'm still in the dark when it comes to VHOs HEHE I am looking for at least one side to be darker...well, just "not-so-bright" with a blueish purple color to really make the colors "pop"

My fixture is a single 150w HQI and two 96w PC actinics in a 36in unit. I prefer the brighter white of a 10k bulb such as a Ushio to the darker look of a 20K. This is defiantly the case for those of us that use T5, PC or VHO actinic to supplement. If I had a stand alone MH I would then perhaps think about a 14K, but with my current mix it will always be a 10K. As for the best PC actinics, I really like the Current USA Sunpaq dual actinic. The bulbs feature one tube in the 420nm range and the other in the 460nm.