PDA

View Full Version : Antennata Lion feeding

spw4949
11/13/2009, 09:21 AM
So I have a 3" antennata lion that will only eat live ghost shrimp, surprise surprise right!!! I'm trying to wean him onto frozen obviously but having a tough go of it.....my question is, I am very concerned about feeding just ghosts due to lockjaw, can I feed him some small gobies without any concerns? I can get small(1/4" or so) red headed gobies pretty cheap & was thinking I'd go that route while I'm trying to wean him over.....give him a break from ghost shrimp & ease my lockjaw concerns.....I figure that's what he'd eat in the wild....any input would be appreciated.

FMarini
11/13/2009, 02:09 PM
feed him ghost shrimp for month or so- i've never experienced lockjaw using ghost shrimp (just krill)
Anyway read this (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/) on how to wean the fish onto frozen foods
these are beautiful fish

namxas
11/13/2009, 02:37 PM
Frank's article is a good one, a definite "must read".

P. antennata are REAL beauties! i kept one back in the old daze, and loved the experience.

have you got any pix?

what have you been trying and how was it presented to the fish?

spw4949
11/16/2009, 11:11 AM
No pix yet but will try & get some soon...I've tried to feed him frozen krill, clams, ocean perch, mysis, just about everything frozen you can think of. I have him in with a blue hamlet(who eats just about anything!!) & a dwarf golden moray. I've tried a feeding stick & I'll wiggle the food in front of him & he will look at it but nothing seems to get him going like live stuff.....because of the hamlet being such an aggressive eater I was thinking of putting the lion in a large carrier & trying to get him to eat that way, too stressful? When I feed him ghost shrimp I present them in a large net(to keep them away from the hamlet) & he'll swim right in & eat but totally different deal with the frozen stuff.....like I said I'm going 4 days inbetween feedings & then I'll try frozen 1st but if he doesn't eat then I do ghost shrimp, he's just a baby is this too long inbetween feedings? So I'm assuming the gobies aren't a good idea?

FMarini
11/16/2009, 02:49 PM
So I'm assuming the gobies aren't a good idea?

only as food

you can try the weaning basket idea i present in the lionfish article i linked. i had alot of success using it to ensure new fish learned to compete and eat prepared foods.
You discovered the min problem feeding any new predator in a tank of aggressive eaters, you gotta isolate the new fish- can get him to compete. Some people use Q-tanks (quarantine tanks), i just used an intank basket

spw4949
11/17/2009, 08:54 AM
Okay, sounds good, thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.