PDA

View Full Version : MP40W wet side failing

WallyBackm
11/13/2009, 04:16 PM
I have 2 MP40w pumps. ONe works fine. The wet side of the other, however, doesn't rotate when turned on and simply falls down. I've isolated it as the wet side because I use the dry side to test and it works for the other pump.

I took off the casing for the faulty wet side one and there is a black gunky build up around the magnet. I am no engineer but I suppose this is not good. I spent $420 a pop for both of these which have been running less than 6 months so I feel a bit shafted.

WallyBackm
11/14/2009, 06:14 PM
Is this a common experience with MP40w's? Are there arny Ecotech people on here?

firereef
11/14/2009, 09:07 PM
Hey, mine fell off today too. Mines been runnin a month!

EcoTech Marine
11/16/2009, 08:05 AM
wallybackm-

Give us a call and we'll get you sorted out.

firereef-

Considering your pump is so new, the most likely cause of a wet side falling is a snail getting in there. I'd just reinstall it and see if it happens again in a regular fashion. Then I'd get in touch with us.

wesley6610
11/16/2009, 05:37 PM
I've been have the same issue as well. I purchased my pump last month and it fell off once 2 weeks ago and just now. I took it apart and cleaned it (it wasn't dirty though), and inspected all of the internal parts of the drive shaft. Made sure the nut wasn't too tight as to why it wasn't turning freely. I wasn't sure what the condition of the nylon washer is supposed to look like after just 1 month, but it looks pretty mashed up. The ceramic bearing looks okay and drive shaft too....what gives? Nothing got caught up in it at all and I was sitting right next to the tank when the wetside flipped up and then dropped off.

EcoTech Marine
11/17/2009, 09:29 AM
Is the pin spacer set correctly? The most important thing is that when you assemble it, the wet side should spin freely within the wet frame. I'm not sure what you mean about the wet side washer being mashed up because it's not actually a wear part. If you could, send pics to us at service@ecotechmarine.com and we can get you a new wetside.

wesley6610
11/17/2009, 09:51 AM
Yes, the pin spacer is set correctly on the dryside and when it first fell (wetside) I took it apart and cleaned it as the manual states to make sure that it was fine. When I removed the parts to reveal the washer, it basically looked grooved (forgive me for saying mashed up) by the inside of the wetside's plastic coated magnet. I figured this came from the pressure on the lock nut and maybe it shouldn't have been fastened as tightly. However, if I loosened it, of course it won't spin consistently, so I fastened it as tight as it originally was and it worked great for another 3 weeks (last night) and it has fallen again. So I'm not sure what the problem is...I even removed the ceramic bearing to make sure that nothing was inhibiting the turning of the shaft. I did recognized that the plastic coating on the shaft was peeling a bit, but I'm not sure if that is normal or not at this point, I've only been using the pump for 2 months now.

EcoTech Marine
11/17/2009, 10:33 AM
Please send us some pictures, that'll be the best way to diagnose this problem.

firereef
11/19/2009, 01:38 AM
firereef-

Considering your pump is so new, the most likely cause of a wet side falling is a snail getting in there. I'd just reinstall it and see if it happens again in a regular fashion. Then I'd get in touch with us.[/QUOTE]

Ok. Will do. Thx