PDA

View Full Version : Vodka Dosing W/O N or P

epicentyr
11/13/2009, 08:57 PM
I have a hair algae issue in my fuge and frag tank. I am running GFO reactor and between that and the algae uptake, my PO4 is 0. My nitrates have also always been 0 because i am so afraid of overfeeding and contributing to the hair algae issue. I also run RODI with TDS=0 on the output.

Looking at the results of dosing vodka I think that my tank could benefit from it. (My corals seem to loose their tip and polyp color and darken over time) Would it make sense to begin dosing vodka without NO3 and PH4 or do i need to overfeed my tank first?

bertoni
11/13/2009, 09:17 PM
I don't see any benefit to overfeeding the tank. You could try the vodka to see whether it'll help with the macroalga.

Losungen
11/13/2009, 10:01 PM
How long has been an issue? A lot of times will consider a couple days or a couple weeks an "issue" often times of its better to leave it alone and ride it out. GHA is not detrimental to your tanks survival, just its looks. Doing something rash to try and fix it could be detrimental to its survival. If its definately an issue... Look for the cause, not the fix.