PDA

View Full Version : The air surrounding our tanks

ryshark
11/14/2009, 02:10 AM
My wife lit a very pungent smelling "flavored' candle in the same room as my tank while the fans in the canopy were going and the skimmer was skimming. There was no visible smoke, just the strong smell of x-mas wreath. I still blew the candle out. Do you think a candle like this could be bad for a tank?

Flipper62
11/14/2009, 02:27 AM
Candles....air sprays.....cologne.....perfume.....Even Windex, is not good around the tank.

Its fine if you have a cologne on, you just dont want to spray in the room.

Bolo Tran
11/14/2009, 04:55 AM
Wow. This is really something new for me. We, or rather, my wife lights the scented candles about 5 -7 feet from the tank daily. However, I have an enclosed canopy on my tank. Would this still be detrimental to the tank? What're some of the side effects? Sorry to hi Jack OP but hopefully my questions will also help you

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/14/2009, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about scented candles unless the room looks like this:

http://d-extremax.seventh-angel.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/day2-08.jpg

HighlandReefer
11/14/2009, 08:40 AM
:lol:

ryshark
11/14/2009, 11:47 AM
Candles....air sprays.....cologne.....perfume.....Even Windex, is not good around the tank.

Its fine if you have a cologne on, you just dont want to spray in the room.

I think the candles are much different than, sprays, cologne, perfume, windex etc because all of those are airborne liquids. The candle scent is not. My house cleaners know to stay far away from my tank, and my wife knows not to spray a bunch of perfume or hairspray by my when I plan on putting me arm in the tank that day.

ryshark
11/14/2009, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about scented candles unless the room looks like this:

http://d-extremax.seventh-angel.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/day2-08.jpg

definitely doesn't look like that. I'm glad you think A scented candle is not a big deal, thanks.

teesquare
11/14/2009, 11:57 AM
er...Randy...are you trying to tell us something of you "personal philosophies...:D"
T

porthios
11/15/2009, 12:10 AM
i used a ouija board once and all my fish got ich. true story..

gkimble
11/15/2009, 01:01 AM
Ok, how much danger can cleaning your glass with windex? I have done it for years. I obviously don't directly spray it in the tank.

sedor
11/15/2009, 01:22 AM
You can clean your glass with Windex. Just to be safe since I run an open top I usually just spray the paper towel instead of spraying right on the glass. As far as the candle thing goes...don't worry about that. Can anyone say hypochondriacs? :lol:

ryshark
11/15/2009, 02:50 AM
You can clean your glass with Windex. Just to be safe since I run an open top I usually just spray the paper towel instead of spraying right on the glass. As far as the candle thing goes...don't worry about that. Can anyone say hypochondriacs? :lol:

I have read in other threads about tanks crashing or having issues from smoke in the house from cooking or whatever. Hypo, maybe. I'm glad this humors you

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/15/2009, 08:02 AM
I'm glad you think A scented candle is not a big deal, thanks.

You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)

gkimble
11/15/2009, 03:43 PM

Yeah everyone has there quarks lol :lmao:

teesquare
11/15/2009, 04:58 PM
Quarks.....along with hadrons, neutrons and other sub-atomic particles?:hmm5:
Do you mean "quirks"?
T

2 TAZ
11/15/2009, 09:18 PM
We heat our home with wood stoves, sometimes despite our best intentions the house gets rather smokey, can this be detrimental to my tanks. I run 3 cups of carbon changed every 3 to 4 weeks for about 500 gallons of water, do you think this would help remove some of th pollutants from the smoke, if it enters the tank.

gkimble
11/16/2009, 12:46 AM
Quarks.....along with hadrons, neutrons and other sub-atomic particles?:hmm5:
Do you mean "quirks"?
T
Yeah quirks

Flipper62
11/16/2009, 01:43 AM
I'm very anal about my tanks. I'm ok with that because my tanks always look pristine.

Call it a quirk....( NOT a hypochondriac )......I have a few other quirks.

1 - I wont buy used underware
2 - Never step on a crack
3 - Oh Ya........ Never french kiss a hooker...:lol::lol::lol:

SORRY.....I couldn't help myself......:dance:

ryshark
11/16/2009, 10:27 AM
I'm very anal about my tanks. I'm ok with that because my tanks always look pristine.

Call it a quirk....( NOT a hypochondriac )......I have a few other quirks.

1 - I wont buy used underware
2 - Never step on a crack
3 - Oh Ya........ Never french kiss a hooker...:lol::lol::lol:

SORRY.....I couldn't help myself......:dance:

Now that is actually funny, I do the same with the additions of
4. Never jump in the pool with my cell phone in my pocket
5. Never eat meat that has been sitting in the sun all day

PowermanKW
11/16/2009, 03:24 PM
So what about cologne? My MIL uses a lot. I run GAC continuous for this reason alone. She was here first and her room is down stairs with the tank. It isn't going to change. How detrimental is it? Open top and all.