PDA

View Full Version : skimmer/silencer questions.

mellowhead
11/14/2009, 08:36 AM
The other night as I was turning out the tank lights I noticed 2-3 of my sps just didn't seem right. I started to look over my equip for giggles and noticed my skimmer overflowing. :hmm4: I had recently added a skimmer silencer and sure enough it was full of water. Not really sure how the silencer could fill up with water, as it was above the water line and zip tied to the skimmer to be sure it didn't budge. Needless to say all my skimmate was now going through my system, although luckily I had just cleaned the cup the day before so there was only about an inch of skimmate. I thought about making a second smaller hole on the bottom of my silencer to allow water to empty out of it, but it just basically made more noise through that hole and wasn't going to work out as planned. I just removed the silencer altogether, although now my skimmer was going nuts as if I had added slime coat stuff to my tank. I lowered the output riser tube to about the lowest setting and still was just about overflowing. Questions:

1. Is it the skimmate that overflowed into my tank causing my skimmer to keep overflowing? It's been 24hrs and is starting to show signs of normal operation again, but still hasn't fully recovered.

2. Anyway to make sure water doesn't get into the silencer and cause this all over again?

3. Why doesn't the air line just suck the water down the line and into the pump and keep going like nothing happened?

Regards,

PS - On an additional note, this was the first time in years I had to re-adjust my Euro-Reef. Damn good skimmer, even if it's not a newer model.

mellowhead
11/15/2009, 05:51 AM
bump