PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone feed live food? Advice?

becact
11/14/2009, 11:09 AM
I'd like to feed live food once in a while, just to give more variety to my fish. I have a longnose hawkfish, two ocellaris, a jawfish, and a mandarin.

I've heard adult brine shrimp do not have much nutritional value, but the eggs or freshly hatched ones do. Is this true?

What would you all suggest? Thanks!

SDguy
11/14/2009, 11:14 AM
I feed live blackworms to my fish periodically. They love them. Newly hatched brine are great, but a little extra work, and they are TINY.

jenglish
11/14/2009, 11:15 AM
An adult brine is missing some essential nutrients, but as an occasional food it is fine. BBS have more, selcon helps. I even feed my fish live blood worms and mosquito larvae in the summers for a little variety.

seafansar
11/14/2009, 11:28 AM
My dad goes down to Mosquito Lagoon on occasion and nets up tiny grass shrimp. You have to pick through them pretty well to get rid of all the snails and other things you don't want in your tank. He also gives them a quick rinse in freshwater. The fish love it and they look so funny when they are trying to figure out why their food keep darting away from them. lol.
I know it's risky to feed food collected from the wild, but he hasn't noticed any bad parasites yet. You could freeze the shrimp really quick and then feed that. It's not live food, but really fresh food.

ryan_
11/14/2009, 11:39 AM
A buddy of mine raises mollies in saltwater and brings them over to my house when they are about 1/4"-1/2" long. The anthias LOVE them and its fun to watch them chase the little fish down.

elegance coral
11/14/2009, 03:41 PM
If you can get a dip net, you should be able to go to any lake or stream around your house that has weeds in the shallows and collect all the glass shrimp you want. If you ever make it over to Tampa, you can collect all the pods you want in the dead sea grass around the Courtney Campbell Causeway.