PDA

View Full Version : Sapphire Aquatics Solana/Cardiff Skimmer

agiacosa
11/14/2009, 12:35 PM
All,

Wanted to pass along some knowledge I gained while working with my Sapphire Aquatics Solana/Cardiff Skimmer. I've had it for a couple of months and just had to replace the impeller.

This skimmer is a clear upgrade to the stock skimmer that comes with the aquarium and it fit perfectly into the back of the aquarium. I don't know how this skimmer compares to the Tunze 9002.

One thing that concerns me about this skimmer is how you have to bend the air intake hose because of how the pump fits into the bottom of the skimmer. As you can see in the attached picture below, the hose tends to kink. I'm concerned that it is restricting the air intake but the skimmer seems to be OK.

The other issue I had was the mesh wheel disintegrating. Take a look at the attached pictures and compare the white wheel (what I received and how it looked after two months of use) with the new one I purchased and just received. I find it hard to believe that it disintegrated after only two months. The skimming was seriously impacted.

Anyway, Kyle at Sapphire Aquatics was very nice and helpful. I received the new wheel and carefully removed the old one. I then used Teflon tape and used the foam packaging it came in to press it into place. It's skimming nicely now as you can see.

Overall, it's a good skimmer but wish it was more plug and play.

agiacosa
11/14/2009, 12:51 PM
Here's a YouTube video of the skimming action.

Sapphire Aquatics Solana/Cardiff Skimmer action (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-XM0-klmEQ)

ladybug5234
11/14/2009, 02:17 PM
Art, do you by any chance know how the stock Cardiff skimmer is supposed to be hooked up? I bought my Cardiff used and cant figure out how the skimmer goes.

agiacosa
11/14/2009, 03:10 PM
Go to the Current USA website and download the Cardiff manual. There's a picture of how things go in the back.

ladybug5234
11/15/2009, 09:57 AM
Got it... thanks!

Runfrumu
11/15/2009, 10:12 AM
My friend who is very inexperienced in the hobby should have one coming for his jbj nano this week. I wonder if there is another impellar that can be used as to make the skimmer more reliable over a long period?

His tank has been going for a year and the most I've told him to get is one fish and live rock. I dont feel comfortable with him putting anything else in till he starts doing water changes more regularly.

agiacosa
11/15/2009, 02:48 PM
Well, exactly 24 hours later and the performance has dropped significantly. Look at this video and compare it to the one from yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiRQKwZLTag

Do I feel like taking it apart again to see what happened? NO. Will try to contact the manufacturer for thoughts.

agiacosa
11/23/2009, 06:39 AM
Fish died and skimmer took off. It's pulling some nice nog out now. Perhaps my problem was a low nutrient environment.

GeoffM1968
11/23/2009, 05:16 PM
Good to here as I received mine and plan on installing some time in next two weeks. I would sooner but need to do some family things as I spent last several days working on my lighting upgrades.

ladybug5234
12/12/2009, 11:12 AM
I got a used Sapphire skimmer for an awesome deal. So far it is working great (a week now). I do think the mesh impeller needs to be replaced though. They seem to wear down very quickly! Art, how much $$$ did yours run you?

P.S. Did you get the sump???

agiacosa
12/12/2009, 12:08 PM
It was around $12.

I just picked it up this morning. Thank you! Did you ever measure the water depth that it runs?

ladybug5234
12/12/2009, 01:20 PM
Art, I never measured it really, but I had it filled more than half way.

By the way, I just realized that my skimmer is different than yours. Yours seems to have the pump affixed to the bottom, mine has it on the side... maybe I got an older version of it? I really dont care, as long as it works for me. I am having trouble getting that stupid white screw to turn correctly and lower that gate valve flap. Do you have any problem with that? I'm thinking I should call Sapphire on Monday and see if they can help me.

ladybug5234
12/12/2009, 02:48 PM
Well, I ordered a new mesh impeller. This one is done for, but I cant, for the life of me, figure out what that white screw is supposed to do. To me it has absolutely no function at all. The screw just turns and turns and nothing changes. I sent Kyle a message.

Any thoughts in the meantime? Several searches online have not yielded a single thing on this problem.

agiacosa
12/13/2009, 07:09 AM
I think the side mount pump is an older version. Should work though.

I too have had issues with the gate screw. I finally just took the nut off and move it up and down by simply pulling or pushing on it. I think the design has an issue.

The way it's supposed to work, I think, is that the nut/screw will hold the gate valve at a certain position but it doesn't really work well.

ladybug5234
12/13/2009, 07:20 AM
Yeah I thought about doing that - removing the nut, but even if I did that, I dont see the gate valve moving up or down. Design flaw for sure.... AHHHHH!

agiacosa
12/13/2009, 07:33 AM
Remove the nut and screw then pull up on the stick.

GeoffM1968
12/27/2009, 10:12 PM
How is the new mesh impeller wheel holding up?

agiacosa
12/28/2009, 11:02 AM
Still working fine.