PDA

View Full Version : Rock

AGM1
11/14/2009, 01:22 PM
Hi,

I have a few questions about Live Rock. I have heard the term "seeding", and was wondering if its possible to use 50 percent lace rock (from an old african cichlid tank), and 50 percent purchased live rock. Would the live rock seed the lace rock? Would the lace rock be considered "base rock" or does it need to be rock composed of calcium carbonate to maintain ph? Sort of a new question but if I can cut down costs im all in for it considering the price of live rock.

thank you

Butterz
11/14/2009, 01:27 PM
No, you can't just use any rock and expect it to work as well. Live rock is pourus and water literally goes through the rock...like a sponge. That's how you get your complete nitrogen process going with live rock.

bertoni
11/14/2009, 07:33 PM
I don't know how effective lace rock will be, for the reason stated, but the live rock will seed it with some animals and microbes. I think some people have been happy with lace rock, but you might want to check around.

terri_ann
11/15/2009, 03:17 AM
I had lace rock and it did not work well at all. I replaced mine...good luck :-)

Mentat
11/15/2009, 10:36 AM
"Base Rock" comes from dry dead reefs or previous life systems and is carbonate based. Sources are locally from hobbyists that let tank dry out before selling stuff. Can also get from commercial sources like CaribSea or Marco Rocks, among others. When added to a tank, live bacteria will colonize the rock providing all the nitrogen reducing benefits of live rock. Depending upon aquarist desire, you can add some live rock to populate with other organisms or not.

arredondojason
11/15/2009, 11:29 AM
I had lace rock and it did not work well at all. I replaced mine...good luck :-)

same thing for me. look into marcorocks.com the key largo is awsome stuff and about the same price as the lace rock you are looking at just put it in your tank and and some small peices of LR to seed it and it will turn into live rock during your tank cycle.

Aquarist007
11/15/2009, 11:33 AM
I would use the base rock as suggested by some above. I would not go more than 40 per cent base rock to 60 per cent live rock. You will also need to allow a longer time for cycling then 3-6 weeks before increasing the bioload too rapidly---at least for the first three months
eg as a suggestion add one small fish every two weeks instead of one week

Pylon
11/15/2009, 02:30 PM
What is a good prive for live rock at a LFS?
Mine is selling ti for 6 dollars a pound. Is that to much?

Aquarist007
11/15/2009, 06:23 PM
What is a good prive for live rock at a LFS?
Mine is selling ti for 6 dollars a pound. Is that to much?

depends for what kind----Figi--yes that is about the going price.

Indo rock in our area can be as high as 9 dollars a pound

Have you checked your local reef club, or www.kijiji.com for your area. Many times you can get quality reef rock, cycled and covered with corraline for 4 dollars a pound.

Pylon
11/15/2009, 07:30 PM
depends for what kind----Figi--yes that is about the going price.

Indo rock in our area can be as high as 9 dollars a pound

Have you checked your local reef club, or www.kijiji.com for your area. Many times you can get quality reef rock, cycled and covered with corraline for 4 dollars a pound.

I don't have a local reef club. I live in the middle of no where :P I think the SW West Va is closest, but they are a good 4 hours away. I"ll check out your link and see what happens!
I was thinking about getting 20 pouds of dry rock for about 60 shipped and about 4 of live from my LFS.

Pylon
11/15/2009, 07:33 PM
Nothing close to me on that site. I've checked everywhere. A major city close to me is Boone, NC. if anyone knows of a good site for that area.