PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a stand . . .please?

Skerp
11/14/2009, 05:32 PM
howdi, I'm planning on getting a new tank in the future and I plan on building a stand out of wood to save some money to spend on equipment etc. . The tank I plan on buying is 6'x2'x2' 180gallon glass one. I'm looking for some help as far as what type of wood and a basic layout of the stand. Maybe some pictures of stands that people have built in the past would be helpful too. Also I'm hoping to have room underneath to keep a sump/skimmer/return pump and some phosban reactors. . .

Thanks in advance!

~Skerp~

RocketEngineer
11/14/2009, 06:04 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1169964

arredondojason
11/14/2009, 06:06 PM
hey i have some pics in my album you can kind of see the stand i built for my tank i used 2x4s for the tops and bottoms then i used 4x4s for the supporting braces i made 4 walls like studs for a house then i installed plywood all the way around to make a box then cut my holes for my overflows and installed the tank it has been up now for 10 months with no problems. just excuse the mess i am deployed in afghanistan right now and I did the whole setup in 3 days when i went home for 2 weeks.
The pics are under my profile in my albums.
my tank size is a 240G its dim. are 60x36x25
ps.
let me know what you think.

Gill again
11/14/2009, 06:12 PM
This is my build thread. I tried to give some good pics of the steps I took. Maybe a good way to get ideas of what you need. My stand is a 4' x 2' so my cut list wouldnt help you. I would assume that with a 6' tank you will have to have a center support in the front of the stand as well as the back. You will need to make the back middle support where you can remove and install again. a CRAIG JIG is well worth the money I think when building and wanting some very strong joints. I was in the cabinet business for about a year and built some very nice stuff. Thats why I say if you plan to build and you dont have all the tools get the Craig Jig. Keep us posted on the build.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1697561

Skerp
11/15/2009, 12:17 AM
Hey thanks a ton for the responses, this should definitely make the build a lot easier. As far as keeping you posted though, I'm not starting to make the stand just yet. I'm still in school so I got some time to get all my ducks in order. So whenever I post on here I'm just pretty much researching and making bookmarks of certain pages and whatnot. I do appreciate the information though and maybe if I ever get a degree and a job I'll start posting pics of my progress lol .. .

thanks again :)