PDA

View Full Version : Growth Rate of SPS Frags?

happyclam
11/14/2009, 07:38 PM
I was wondering what the growth is like with the small (~1"-2") fragments. Growth shots would be great. This is assuming that the aquarium has ideal water parameters.

I was just curious about this. I know that fragments are the most economical way to get colorful SPS, but if I'm going to be looking at frag plugs with little blobs of color on them for a few years, I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Thanks!

PJtree23
06/28/2011, 09:20 PM
bump

ColaAddict
06/28/2011, 09:24 PM
I know guys who started with frags and in less than a year, they have a full blown overcrowded reef and have to keep fragging their SPS every month. All depends on the type of SPS as some grow faster than others and if you have great flow and good lighting and water parameters.

STsONpERs
06/28/2011, 09:25 PM
This is impossible for someone to tell you.
Depends on so much, water parameters, flow, feeding, lighting, which species ect...

ganjero
06/29/2011, 11:12 AM
The only thing that I found to be common for most people is that frags usually grow at a slow rate but once they get to certain size the growth rate increases. For 1” to 2” frags, depending on many factors, you will be looking to a frag/small colony for about a year. Of course, there are some exceptions.

ChicagoReefOne
06/29/2011, 01:03 PM
It totally depends on literally everything, especially the coral. I have a red milli that has been growing visibly every day, like 1-3mm. I have the ORA German Blue that grows at a glacial pace. I have a rainbow monti that is growing like mad right now and birdsnests that are just putting along. I also have a ORA Hyacinth Birdsnest that is growing like crazy.

It all depends. And it goes without saying really that nothing can happen if you don't have stable parameters, good lights, top notch water quality.

Sounds like you might want to do a mix of colonies and frags, it'll give you a full look but not kill the wallet either. Then again growing a coral out from a frag is quite satisfying.

Check around on this forum for growth shots, there are a bunch of them.

Pallobi
06/29/2011, 01:29 PM
This is impossible for someone to tell you.
Depends on so much, water parameters, flow, feeding, lighting, which species ect...

i agree 100%... no matter what anyone says or results of their own they gave you, there is a good chance your results will be different...

start with a good enviroment for them, a great husbandry ethic, and an even better understanding of what these creatures actually NEED to thrive, not jus survive...

start with that, and GL my friend ;)