PDA

View Full Version : Coral Banded Shrimp

Arkayology
11/14/2009, 07:51 PM
So, my first addition to my 20H was a Coral Banded Shrimp that I added yesterday. He has been hiding out under a rock for since then, venturing out seldom. I dropped some small fish food pellets near his cave and they sat there for hours. He should eat these pellets right? I am very new to SW inverts and fish and don't know feeding habits. I just want to make sure I know if he is getting food or not. I haven't seen him go after and of my bristle worms or brittle star hitchhikers.

Does anyone have any advice for feeding him or is he fine and I don't need to worry. There are only 2 snails in the tank with him atm, no fish.

CUZ
11/14/2009, 08:16 PM
did you acclimate him??
with time it'll be scampering everywhere!!

Arkayology
11/14/2009, 09:36 PM
Ya, I acclimated him well. I think he may just be getting used to the tank? I am just not sure how/when he will want to eat. Can I assume he is eating stuff off my rocks?

flemingm
11/24/2009, 11:41 PM
I was wondering the outcome of your shrimp as I am new with a small tank but completely cycled and purchased the same type shrimp with the same non-eating and hiding behind a rock. Ive even dropped misus into his large claw ......nothing, he was very active at the LFS ?????

Arkayology
11/25/2009, 03:09 AM
He just needed to get used to the tank. He now crawls all over the tank, though mostly when lights are out. He knows when I am ready to feed my clown somehow and comes out of the rock work. Unfortunately for him, I only drop pellets in as my clown will eat them but he gets one or two sometimes. I bought a package of silversides and give him a tiny piece every three days as there still isn't much for him to eat in the tank (he doesn't touch the bristleworms at all... walked right over one, touched it and kept walking!)

Just give him a couple of days. He will be fine, they are hardy shrimp.

firebirdcrzy
11/25/2009, 10:30 AM
I had a CB shrimp for over a year till the tank crashed. I never actually target fed him, it will find food on it's own.

jhentr
11/25/2009, 03:22 PM
I have one for almost two years now. Huge shrimp-three to four times the size of the CBS I see being sold in the stores.

I don't target feed him at all and he just hangs out under a certain ledge during the day. But once the lights goes out, he'll start moving. Mines took care of my bristle worms and tiny brittle stars.

flemingm
11/25/2009, 06:06 PM
I did see my shrimp sitting on top the rockscape early this morning. I guess I thought he would be a little more active but my little 5gal. spins on a turntable so I can view at will. I was wondering if I added shrimp;maybe a different type, I would have a small battle ...... maybe not a good idea?

Kevin McRae
11/26/2009, 02:14 PM
I've had mine for 3 months and I usually forget he even exists. I never see him sometimes his whiskers underneath the rocks.

I much prefer skunk cleaners.

gkaquatic
11/27/2009, 12:16 AM
target feeding is not needed if in a well fed tank. target feeding is only needed in a tank where no food looks to be left after feeding (leaving nothing for the CB to eat) or like in my situation with my pair, in a small tank where u dont want to over pollute the water trying to get them some food. if ur still worried about him not eating after gaving him a few days to adjust try some mysis or small pieces of meaty food (shrimp, krill, silver sides).

scarolina01
11/27/2009, 08:41 AM
Agreed, there is no need for target feeding of a CBS. Mine has been growing steadily since adding him to my tank in the spring. He usually roams about the tank at night and stays under the rock work during the day. He'll scavenge for food, and pick up a mysis shrimp or two when I feed the rest of the tank.

jayray
11/27/2009, 09:10 AM
I have had one for 2 years and it seems to only come out at night. I have never had to target feed, buy it will reach out and grab a stray brine shrimp during feedings.
J