PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a Mantis shrimp...but need help with setup

odoprelude
04/09/2003, 03:45 PM
I have been stricken by the beauty of these animals and my LFS just had one in his shop that someone had speared out of their tank, not doing so well and all... I asked him about them and he said that he gets two or three with every live rock shipment he gets in and he's getting a shipment in tomorrow.. (hear wheels in head turning) :rollface: Well, I've got a 5 gallon bowfront I'm not using for anything and I'm wondering... how long should your tank be set up before you introduce one of these critters? I have a 55 reef setup, established for a good while now and I can use some of the sand to seed new sand and just put some live rock in there to get the cycle going.... Any advice??? Thanks! :D

Creade
04/09/2003, 04:06 PM
Id do a water change on your 55 and steal rock/water/sand from it. Then your new tanks is gtg. Do just what your thinking. If the LFS gets mantis in everytime he gets rock, dont be in a hurry and get the tank setup how you want it. Well, dont get to used to how you want it, the mantis will definately redecorate.

Creade

duckhuntboy
04/10/2003, 01:12 AM
I filled my mantis tank with water the day before I got my mantis, and he did great. I actually didn't even have a heater for a while, and with the 7 degree temp. fluctuations, he was still really healthy. I think they're really hardy creatures.

Kara
04/10/2003, 01:39 PM
OOOh! You are going to love your mantis!

I set up my mantis tank the same way. Got live sand and rock and 1/2 the water from an established tank. If it cycled at all, I didn't notice and neither did my mantis!