PDA

View Full Version : Reef salt.

lougotzz
11/15/2009, 05:49 PM
Im setting up a 75 gallon tank and Im about to get some salt. My tanks gotta go a couple of months with out coral and everything.

Im looking at getting seachem reef salt. The salt says if its for marine and not reef, to use marine salt. Is it ok if I just use reef salt from the get go? The tanks gonna be a heavily stocked SPS reef.

Thanks.

ryshark
11/15/2009, 05:57 PM
Ya thats fine. I think the only difference is that the Reef Salt has extra, Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium

sharrison
11/15/2009, 06:37 PM
Instant Oceans "Reef Crystals" is one of the best. Or you could purchase "Instant Ocean" and add the desired levels.

redfishsc
11/15/2009, 06:41 PM
I've used both the Reef Crystals and Seachem Reef. I prefer the Seachem stuff, but honestly it won't matter. Both are great salts.

It really comes down to whichever you can find the cheapest with the cheapest shipping. I can get Seachem Reef by the 50g bag locally for cheaper than I can get it shipped, and I only need 50g every couple of months in my small system (45g total) so I just do it that way.

lougotzz
11/15/2009, 07:33 PM
I ordered the seachem. It was cheaper than IO, and I just thought a little change would be nice. IO is good. I just wanted to try different salt. I dont know why lol.

offroadodge
11/15/2009, 08:09 PM
I switched to Red Sea Pro Coral Salt and love it. Was using instant ocean. The new salt dissolves alot better,faster IMO

Saltmaniac
12/19/2009, 08:41 PM
I switched to Red Sea Pro Coral Salt and love it. Was using instant ocean. The new salt dissolves alot better,faster IMO

I've had awful results with Red Sea Coral Pro Salt...the last two buckets have mixed up cloudy. I use filtered water, mix it for 48 hours and its always cloudy. It leaves a terrible residue in my mixing container.
Thought maybe a bad bucket, but this 2nd bucket is mixing the same way.
I'm looking to make a change..SOON!
-Salty