PDA

View Full Version : I'm stuck

TylerB24
11/15/2009, 06:27 PM
I'm new to marine tanks (had a FW one for years) and I've had a 55gal now for about 4 months. 4xT5 HO, Toms RP3 (i can't express how pleased I am with this unit as a beginner- filter, sump, skimmer all in one. It's been great).

I have probably 60 lbs of fiji live rock, crushed coral substrate, and I'm using DI water (my TDS of my well is <100 so I just use the DI cartridge to get it to 0).

Livestock- two false percs, cleaner shrimp, two emerald crabs, a number of snails, a small zoa colony, and a mushroom leather.

Everything has been going great so far- I only wish I went bigger out of the gate (100gal) to be able to handle some tangs and other cool fish.

My problem is I'm not sure where to go next- I only want a few more fish- maybe a chromis, a flame angel, and a blenny. (not sure on the angel due to the reef safe-ness). I'd like to get more corals (softies, LPS) and even an anemone.

I've had pretty good success so far, but I'm worried I don't have enough experience to get into the stonys or anemones, but I'd like to have a plan together of what is going to go in to the tank in what order. (i know, I know, I should have had this all planned out ahead of time. What can I say I got anxious to get started.)

Any suggestions?

thegrun
11/15/2009, 06:49 PM
Well if SPS coral or an anemone are in the future, adding a refugium will go a long way in helping your water quality. You don't give your tank water chemistry break down, but a fuge will be a big help in keeping your nitrates and phosphates in check.

bertoni
11/15/2009, 07:05 PM
Your setup seems okay, although I agree that a refugium might help. For the trickier corals, keeping nitrate and phosphate under control seems to help. I'd start by checking how the tank is doing in those respects. Also, a reactor or area to run carbon and a GFO can be handy.

TylerB24
11/15/2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the hints- right now my nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia levels are all 0. I had some phosphate earlier on but that has seemed to go away with water changes.

I'm keeping my calcium levels in the mid 400s, but I haven't had a ton of coraline growth- i think because I don't have enough snails to keep the hair algae at bay enough to let it grow. I only have two turbos, two margarita, and two bumblebees. I was planing on adding like 20 margaritas and some hermit crabs.

what do you recommend as a next coral- maybe another softie? I'd like something bright.

bertoni
11/15/2009, 10:24 PM
None of those animals are likely to go after hair algae, which can be quite a pest.

There's lots of easy soft corals to grow. If you like the zoanthids you have, they come in many colors. A book like "Aquarium Corals" might be a good investment.

fooseball08
11/16/2009, 01:07 AM
for the hair algea a sea hare will wipe that stuff out but be prepared to find him a new home in a couple weeks because he will starve once he has done his job... as for coraline i kept a successful tank for 2 years (untill i broke it down and upgraded)with no coraline growth... i wouldnt worry about that... i wouldnt recommend the flame angel... you flip a coin when introducing one of those to your tank

fooseball08
11/16/2009, 01:10 AM
o ya and for the next coral just head on down to your local fish store and find something you like, then come home and research it before you buy it, thats what i always did with fish and corals, or like bertoni said get a species book of fish, inverts, corals... just take it slow... it sounds like you are on the right track