PDA

View Full Version : Should I separate them?

redfishsc
11/15/2009, 08:30 PM
I have 4 true percs, all are misbars. All are from the same broodstock from a local breeder.

Two of them have paired off and are hosting a GBTA. One has grown significantly more than the other over the past two months.

However, I really don't want to raise any young if they start breeding. Partly since they are from the same broodstock. I really don't want to produce genetic mongrels.

Which is quite possible, because the smaller of the pair has a deformed pectoral fin (strangely, exactly like Nemo in the movie:rolleyes:) and some apparent caudal fin issues (mild deformation, not bad).

Anyhow, I would like to keep them all, but if I later decide to separate the two that are paired up, will this cause any problems? Would the larger clown (the better of the two) possibly pair up with a different clown if I wanted to breed her later? I dunno exactly how attached clowns get to their mate.

clowns101
11/15/2009, 08:50 PM
Let em breed.They wont be hurt by it.I am more concerned about the 4 clowns fighting when they become mor emature!

redfishsc
11/15/2009, 09:11 PM
Ok, that's good. If I decided to remove the one with the deformed pectoral, and try to breed the other perc with one from different stock, would they pair up?

Also, regarding the 4 percs, I know I'll eventually have to remove two of them. You're right about that.

They were basically free, and 3/4" long when I got them. Since their color patterns are totally random (I think they are culled from Picasso brood stock) I decided to get several of them and see what they looked like as they grew.

For now they are doing well, and have been for a couple months. Starting to take on neat black patches here and there. I'll try to get some pics later, but no promises, they won't hold still long enough, lol.

goochesfish
11/16/2009, 12:48 AM
well you know, Nemo's mom died and the dad never remarried

redfishsc
11/16/2009, 06:38 AM
How do you know she didn't run off with that skanky barracuda and take all but the one poor handicapped fry with her? Lousy tramp!

dc
11/16/2009, 09:33 AM
*Ahem*

redfishsc
11/16/2009, 10:16 AM
wha? whad' I do?

clowns101
11/16/2009, 10:48 AM
OKay well it sound like you on the right road but keep posted I would like to see how the petterns come out on these fish!

redfishsc
11/16/2009, 11:26 AM
Ok! I'll try to get a pic of them soon. Right now they don't look much different than any other misbar, but as they grow I believe they'll pick up some black patches. One already has a black tip on his caudal and anal fins.

WDLV
11/17/2009, 09:10 AM
Most of the defects seen in captive breeding come from poor water quality. Not genetic problems. If your fish do breed you should have no problems. Problems like the stubby look are genetic but do not usually present until after the 10th generation of inbreeding.
I really wouldn't be concerned with it. If you are you can just let them become food.