PDA

View Full Version : water quality??????

luv4scjjt
11/16/2009, 10:34 AM
I am relativly new to the hobby. I have had my tank running for about 8-9 months with some failures and successes up to this point. I hope to prevent another failure. So please help me. I have a 90 gal FOWLR with a 30 gal sump. The sump was only put in about 1 1/2 months ago. We had a crash and our local salt water fish store hooked us up with the sump. I was using the strips to test my water quality but i don't trust them anymore so i went to the drops. API master test kit. I did my first test on sun. The levels seemed high so i did another 10 % water change after only 5 days instead of waiting the 7. I ran the test after the water change and the levels still seemed of so i waited till today figuring it takes time. Today is mon and the levels seem worse. Am i doing the test wrong. I am following the directions on the packedge. Here are the levels i recorded the 3 times i took them.

Sun (5 days since last 10% water change)
ph...8.0
nitrate...20
nitrite....25
Amonia....50
Today (mon) 10% water change done sun night after sun test
ph...7.8
nitrate...40
nitrite....25
amonia...50

In case you need it stock list is as follows,
young volitan lion, dog faced puffer about 4-5 inch, yellow tang, sailfin tang, bicolor angle, blue spot puffer, 1 fiji damsel, 1 maroon clown. all except dog faced puffer and the 2 tangs are young, still kind of small.

bertoni
11/16/2009, 02:26 PM
I don't see how those animals can be alive in a tank with 50 ppm ammonia. I suspect testing problems. I think you should ask the LFS to help.