PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand this Star Polyps

Sparrky
11/16/2009, 10:38 AM
I started my tank in July got it from my brother star polyps where green when I got them now they are white and not as open as they use to be .... What do I look for ?

d3rryc
11/16/2009, 02:22 PM
What lighting is your brother running, and what lighting is on your tank? Also, post your tank params with the usual suspects. I'm GUESSING that your problem is light-related, though. If your light rig is significantly stronger than your brothers, you might have light shocked them into bleaching. If your bulbs are fading out, they might be bleaching due to insufficient light (which happened to me earlier this year when my T5s wore out). I've also had them bleach from prolonged heat when a heater stuck and ran at 86 degrees for a while.

Hope that gets you started in the right direction, but more tank stats will help the diagnosis quite a bit.

BLKTANG
11/16/2009, 02:51 PM
I started my tank in July got it from my brother star polyps where green when I got them now they are white and not as open as they use to be .... What do I look for ?

Specific Gravity,SG.

[welcome]

Sparrky
11/17/2009, 03:05 PM
I'm new to this not sure of the info you are looking for but I'll tell what I know. I have T5 lights they are only 2 months old running 4 blues and 4 purples my brother had blue and white but they started fading before I changed them.. i change my water about every two-three weeks about 10-20 gal and I and calcium and alk.