PDA

View Full Version : new tank problem

cich4fish
11/16/2009, 07:53 PM
okay,I set up a frag tank a couple of months ago.I placed some rubble from my main tank in the sump with additional new rubble.The first problem started a week after set up with a thick light brown slime forming in the sump and frag tank.I drained the tankand it all and started again.This time I just stirred the water in the sump and the skimmer removed it all.

I tested the water and everything was good.I placed some xenia and some zoa frags in.Everything was doing great for a couple weeks then the zoa's would not open any more and the xenia open only slightly.I also placed a couple of sps frags in and even they looked well(huge polyp extention)during the first couple of weeks and now they have started to bleach.wth.

So the tank is 48Lx24Dx12H with a 30gal sump with euroreef skimmer mag 7 return and koralia 3 with a catalina t5 4x54watt.So my question is ,I keep it in my laundry room is it possible that fumes in the air from washing clothes could get in the water? No,there is not a chance that any splashed into the tank.Any ideas?

No fish
Water param
cal=400 ppm
alk=10
phos=0
nitrate=0
temp=80

HighlandReefer
11/16/2009, 07:56 PM
It takes a while for a tank to develop enough bacteria and for the oragnic matter on the rock to brake down. The brown slime sounds like bacteria, which is processing the organic matter on the rock. You may have started to soon adding coral.

What are your water parameters?

cich4fish
11/16/2009, 08:18 PM
Water param
cal=400 ppm
alk=10
phos=0
nitrate=0
temp=80

bertoni
11/16/2009, 08:21 PM
Is any food being added? If not, I'd look at other issues. It'd take some strong fumes, maybe bleach, to cause any problems. I'd look at salinity, and consider running some carbon.

cich4fish
11/16/2009, 08:24 PM
sg 1.025

bertoni
11/16/2009, 08:30 PM
I'd calibrate the measuring device with some PinPoint 53 mS/cm conductivity solution, but that number seems fine. What kind of chemicals might be entering the water from the laundry room? Bleach and detergent are the primary concerns, and I wouldn't suspect fumes to be a problem.

cich4fish
11/16/2009, 08:45 PM
no other chemicals are being used.Not even using 2 part or anything else.I do not believe any chemicals have splashed in to the tank.I am extremely careful when washing.I wash my hands before ever touching the water.

offroadodge
11/16/2009, 10:02 PM
ya try adding some bacteria, or phyto, this may help.