PDA

View Full Version : Buffing exterior of acrylic tank

mcoomer
11/17/2009, 07:09 PM
I'm at work so I don't have time to search around for an answer. I know this has been covered before; sorry for another thread on this.

What would be the easiest way to buff the exterior of an acrylic tank? After 11 years I've got some minor scratches that I'd like to buff out. I want to do the inside of the panels as well but that will have to wait until I can round up a big rubber maid tank to hold 125G of water, rocks, corals, and fish. So, best way to buff acrylic to ensure a good finished look.

Thanks,
Mike

blindsider
11/17/2009, 08:07 PM
Search everclear acrylic restoration. They have good kits even for in water buffing

dapettit
11/18/2009, 06:02 AM
I have used their products. I refinished our 150 gallon tank. I was very pleased with the results. I had an advantage; the company is located about 30 miles from Austin. Great guys!

If you have minor scratches inside the tank they make a kit that can be used with several types of algae magnetic float scrubbers.

Dave-

mcoomer
11/18/2009, 09:34 AM
I've been considering several kits that I can use with my mag cleaner. I know that using super mild abrasive pads on the inside will take time to clear up the scratches I have and that's OK. The tanks been up 11 years now and I don't see it coming down anytime soon.

For the outside though, I'd like to get on it and knock it out. I've seen several threads and sites that show felt and cotton pads being used with and without buffing compounds to quickly refinish acrylic. I would like to find more information on those types of refinishers. I don't mind renting equipment if I need to but it looks like some of these solutions will work at slower speeds (<2000rpm) using a drill motor. Any info on this is more what I'm looking for now.

Thanks,
Mike

troylee
11/18/2009, 10:41 AM
this prolly the best out there....
http://micro-surface.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_221_222&products_id=43

sportzfish
11/18/2009, 10:55 AM
I think interior buffing can be performed with a graduated approach with different grit sandpaper wherein once the tank holds water, the minute scratches are invisible. For exterior buffing, I think it involves a solvent and a buffing machine similar to those used to wax cars since scratches on the exterior cannot be hidden with water.

mcoomer
11/19/2009, 12:12 AM
this prolly the best out there....
http://micro-surface.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_221_222&products_id=43

That's more along the lines of what I'm looking for. I want to get the outside really well polished because even small scratches look bad on the outside. I need to see if I can find something like that locally. I'm big on instant gratification.

Thanks,
Mike

Canoe
11/19/2009, 12:29 AM
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=62146&cat=1,42500
Micro-Mesh® Sanding Discs
Developed for buffing plastics and fiberglass
Eight grits: 1,500x up to 12,000x
The 1500x is equivalent to 400x wet/dry sandpaper but leaves a finer surface; the 12000x has abrasive particles of less than 1 micron.

At low speed with a random orbital, I've buffed the opaque coating off the front of headlights using these.

MERCURYROCKET
11/19/2009, 07:41 AM
i need to try this?

Canoe
11/19/2009, 08:13 AM
i need to try this?

If someone can give me the exact spec of plastic to try it on, I already own a set of the micro-discs. I can get a test piece from the plastic shop in town and make different scratches and try the sand out.

mcoomer
11/19/2009, 10:00 AM
If someone can give me the exact spec of plastic to try it on, I already own a set of the micro-discs. I can get a test piece from the plastic shop in town and make different scratches and try the sand out.

What info would you need?

Canoe
11/22/2009, 08:53 PM
What info would you need?

the exact spec of acrylic to get - no point in testing on plastic you don't use

what type of acrylic is used for tanks?

Acrylics
11/22/2009, 10:15 PM
the exact spec of acrylic to get - no point in testing on plastic you don't use

what type of acrylic is used for tanks?

There are about a dozen different mfrs of acrylic being used for tanks, most use cell cast but not all.

Almost every physical and optical quality is identical or damned close among all brands and types (coated materials being the primary exception) IMO if you get well practiced in one brand/type of acrylic, the same will apply to all others.

James

dapettit
11/23/2009, 05:37 AM
I used a random orbitla sander. Here are the instructions from Everclear Acrylic:

http://www.etr-inc.com/instructions/electric-sander-kit.dot

crawfish in tx
11/23/2009, 04:06 PM
i usedd brasso and wool pad on orbital sander then finished with jewelers rough from lowes. dont hold in i spot long enough to get hot, it will create air bubbles inside the acrlic:fish1:

saf1
11/23/2009, 04:14 PM
So after reading this and the owner of a 8 year old tru vue is there a way to buff out the insides with the tank holding life stock, etc? I believe it would be a lot easier with it empty but the thought of moving 200lbs of sand and assorted rock. Not to mention I'd have issues because I have a lot of zoanthids that are covering the back of the tank side to side and the overflow.

I don't think it can withstand any long period of time with no water. They stress out just due to water changes. I mean the whole back of the tank is covered.

Acrylics
11/23/2009, 04:46 PM
So after reading this and the owner of a 8 year old tru vue is there a way to buff out the insides with the tank holding life stock, etc? I believe it would be a lot easier with it empty but the thought of moving 200lbs of sand and assorted rock. Not to mention I'd have issues because I have a lot of zoanthids that are covering the back of the tank side to side and the overflow.
Buffing? no, but you can use Micro-Mesh available at www.micro-surface.com and look for kit #NC-78-1. Should be around $40 and very safe to use in a fully stocked tank.

HTH,
James

saf1
11/23/2009, 11:05 PM
Oh - thanks. That could be what I'm looking for then. I have several scratches and the algae just loves them. So I've been trying to think of a way to fix it. I guess I didn't look hard enough.

Thanks. 42 dollars the site lists it as. I'll have to read up on it since it also includes some liquid abrasive and cream that I'm not sure what it is.

Thanks James. Appreciate the information.

Acrylics
11/24/2009, 12:09 AM
Don't bother with the liquid stuff with that kit, at least not for working underwater :)

James

mcoomer
11/24/2009, 09:31 AM
So, slight change of plans. I'm ordering the magnet kit from Everclear with a few extra pads to do touch up work in the future. I'm also going to pick up some of their liquid abrasive and see what that does on the outside of the tank just hand rubbing it. I'll do the inside first and then rub it down with the liquid abrasive and see where we stand. The scratches on the outside are minor and I really think that cleaning up the inside will go a long way towards making them unnoticeable. I'll put up some before and after pics.

Mike

mcoomer
11/24/2009, 10:19 AM
Crap! Just got an email from Everclear. They've sold the entire product line to Micro-surface and I can't find the magnet cleaning kits on their site. I've emailed them for info...

mcoomer
12/03/2009, 10:34 AM
Well, I got lucky and found that Algae Free still had some of the Everclear kits so I've got one on order. Got this email from Micro-surface today and thought I'd share:

Dear Michael,
I'm sorry its taken me a bit to research this. We have 2 kits available:

Economy Magnet Kit, 3" x4.25" pads, 2 pads per grit, 1500-6000, there is no 8000. Cost=$55.00

Algae Free Magnet Kit, 2.25" x 4.25" pads, 2-pads per grit, 1500-6000, there is no 8000. Cost=$50.00

You would have to phone your order in as these are not on our website.
Regards,
Debbie Abrahams
Inside Sales Mgr
Micro-Surface Finishing Products, Inc.
1217 West Third Street
PO Box 70
Wilton IA 52778
Phone: 563-732-3240, ext # 223
Phone: 800-225-3006
Fax: 563-732-3390
Email: debbie_abrahams@micro-surface.com
URL: www.micro-surface.com

My reply:

Debbie,
Thank you for the reply. No problem with the delay but I did find a retailer that still had some of the Everclear kits so I've already ordered one for my Algae Free magnet.

I recommend that if you're going to continue to offer these kits that you get them up on your site as soon as you can. Also, you should consider getting that info out on some of the reef tank websites (Reef Central, Reef Frontiers, etc) to let them know what you offer. I first heard of your company on Reef Central so they know you but not exactly what products you offer that they can use. I can't tell you how many folks from the boards have asked me to keep them informed on my experience with the kit. These acrylic tanks that we use scratch with the slightest contact and a lot of people would jump at the chance to get a good kit that works. I think there would be particular interest in a magnet pad of very fine grit that could be used on the inside of the tank to maintain clarity.

I will certainly look to your website in the future for these kits.

Thank you,
Mike

Phildean
12/03/2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks I have small marks in my tank.

I used a random orbitla sander. Here are the instructions from Everclear Acrylic:

http://www.etr-inc.com/instructions/electric-sander-kit.dot

albano
12/03/2009, 11:29 AM
tagging along, have owned acrylic tanks for almost 20 years, and have buffed out many scratches, but always looking for better/faster/easier ways to do it. Hope it works out. I love my tanks, would not go back to glass! Here is my new 450g build http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/63397-hundreds-corals-fish-free.html

mcoomer
12/05/2009, 12:01 AM
I just finished working with the kit for the first time and I'm totally blown away. I started on the right side of my tank and worked in 1' square sections working form bottom to the top of the tank. The bottom of the tank has a lot of fine scratches from years of scraping and cleaning. I was really surprised by how much the top half of the tank cleared up. There weren't a lot of noticeable scratches, just a haziness. I did 10 minutes per section for each grit (1500, 1800, 2400, 3000, 3600, 4000, and 6000) and by the time I got to the 3600 grit I knew it was going to turn out nice. Finishing the 6000 grit pad I stepped back and compared the newly polished section to the rest of the tank. There are still a few scratches that were obviously deeper but everything else is gone. It's absolutely beautiful. I'd forgotten how clear this tank used to be.

When I get to the halfway point in the tank I'll take a full frontal pic to put up here. It truly is an amazing difference. Best $60 I've spent on my tank in years.

Mike

dapettit
12/05/2009, 07:35 AM
I'm glad you posted this. Like a mentioned before, I have used there sander kit several years ago when I refinished our 150. I scratched the interior big time using a fish trap. I've had the float kit for several months but wasn't really sure it would work. Now I'm motivated!

Dave-

mcoomer
12/07/2009, 11:43 PM
Well, I didn't stop to take a pic at the halfway point and now I'm essentially done. I just finished going over the entire front surface with Novus #2 for fine scratches and the tank looks phenomenal. I finished using the Everclear kit on the interior but there are still a few spots where some of the scratches were deeper than I first thought. I'm going to go back and do some spot sanding to get out those deep scratches and then I'll be done. After than I'm going to use the 6000 grit periodically to keep everything nicely polished.

I know that I have to post pics or it didn't happen but it's late and I've got to wake up at 5:00 to go to work. Tomorrow I'll try and get some full tank pics up. I just hope they do the tank justice.

Mike

albano
02/09/2010, 03:31 PM
I know that I have to post pics or it didn't happen but it's late and I've got to wake up at 5:00 to go to work. Tomorrow I'll try and get some full tank pics up. I just hope they do the tank justice.

Mike
PROMISES, PROMISES....where's those pics?, like to see how it came out!

rkaires
02/10/2010, 07:18 AM
That's good to hear. I'll be going acrylic on my upgrade and scratches was my only concern.