PDA

View Full Version : Oversized CA reactor

epicentyr
11/17/2009, 07:32 PM
I have been planning a DIY CA reactor to replace my aging Acrylic City dual 4"dia x18" model. I was thinking of the main reaction chamber would move to a 8x8x18 rectangle with a 8x8x18 secondary chamber. I have what could amount to a high CA requirement tank with 135 main SPS, 60 wide frag, and 55 frag. What problems could arise from having a reactor that is too large? i.e. if I went to a 5 gallon bucket for my main reactor chamber. It would seem that if you kept the chamber at the appropriate pH and use the volume of through flow to control your levels in your tank that there would be no detrimental effects. I asked this in the equipment forum a few weeks ago and it didn't get any action.

Epicentyr

TheH
11/17/2009, 10:57 PM
I don't see that there would be any problem. You'd need a large recirculating pump to keep the CO2 mixed and you would also need a lot of CO2 but you've probably already considered that.

I imagine the five gallon bucket would be opaque though, that might get tedious to check the media level.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/18/2009, 07:20 AM
The only concern I see with a greatly oversized reactor is the amount of CO2 that you need to deliver to even get any CaCO3 dissolving. So it may tend to drive the pH down more than a smaller reactor delivering the same calcium and alkalinity. But if you dial back the flow rate, and not just the CO2, then it should be OK. :)

ct_vol
11/18/2009, 07:23 AM
The only concern I see with a greatly oversized reactor is the amount of CO2 that you need to deliver to even get any CaCO3 dissolving. So it may tend to drive the pH down more than a smaller reactor delivering the same calcium and alkalinity. But if you dial back the flow rate, and not just the CO2, then it should be OK. :)

I had this exact problem with pH, and came up with the same solution... ;) All is well now. But definitely keep this advice in mind. I did not realize how much having a low pH would inhibit SPS growth. Learn from the experience of others... :D

epicentyr
11/18/2009, 10:14 AM
yeah. The 5 gallon bucket was just a for instance to depict scale. The actual size that I am planning is an 8x8x20 reaction chamber with probably 7.25x7.25x12" of actual media. I am running a PanWorld 40PX as the upflow circulation pump and I have a 20# CO2 tank because I got tired of filling my 5# every 2-3 months. Good to hear from someone that they don't think that this will crash my tank.

epicentyr
11/18/2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks again guys.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/18/2009, 10:18 AM
:thumbsup:

Good luck and let us know how it works out. :)

epicentyr
11/19/2009, 09:45 PM
Almost finished. Just a little plumbing left. Looks much better in person. I cant wait to fire it up. 3/8" and 1/2" cast acrylic with a panworld 40 and sch80 fittings. My dream reactor.

Untamed12
11/20/2009, 12:11 AM
Nice work. I like it a lot.

powwer
11/20/2009, 06:47 AM
Yes nice work and it is huge.

TheH
11/20/2009, 01:41 PM
Small comment, since your recirculating pump inlet does not draw from the very top of the reactor I think you may experience CO2 bubbles collecting there in relatively large amounts.

That is a nice build quality btw. Have you found a rubber gasket for making the lid water-tight (I see you have more than enough thumb screws :) )

epicentyr
11/21/2009, 07:06 AM
I hope that I have the CO2 issue under control. I have a "Burp" line that runs from the top of the chamber into the suction side of my pump. if all goes well that should be a continuous burp.

I ordered 1/8" EPDM sheet with adhesive backing from McMaster Carr. Only time will tell if it keeps a good seal. I am not too worried.