PDA

View Full Version : Fluval-G

Ldesp
11/18/2009, 01:31 AM
I am looking at getting a canister filter for "Water Polishing" I will use it once a week for a few hours during/after a water change. I have filter socks running ect I just want something to do a better job clearing up particles that are stuck floating around in my tank. Again this is not a permanent filter it is just going to be used for polishing.

I saw in a magazine today these new Fluval-G's and I was wondering if anyone owns one and has anything to say about them.
http://www.fluval-g.com/index.php
Would they do a good job at polishing?

I would have just gotten a diatom filter to do the water polishing as I have read alot of recommendatiosn on those, but I live in Macau China and can not find a company that ships those here so I have been looking into alternatives and came across this Fluval-g.

Thanks for feedback.

harper
11/18/2009, 03:55 AM
I don't have one. But from the specs it would seem to be a bit overkill to use for just a few hours a week. Not to mention a chunk of cash. Don't really need the timer and bio/chemical filtration... Maybe a hang on back type filter with disposable pads would be quicker and cheaper for your need. Diatoms are nice for your need, but really anything that you can pack some filter floss in will work. I used to use a powerhead attached to a short lenth of pvc wrapped with white filter floss and a couple of rubberbands, just placed in the tank for a short time. Kind of ghetto but works.

victor90
11/18/2009, 03:57 AM
Looks nice huh

Reefer08
11/18/2009, 04:11 AM
I was expecting to see some cheap freshwater stuff but wow it does look nice. Not sure if I would ever use one of those on my tanks though.

drewp808
11/18/2009, 04:37 AM
sure does look nice, dont have one either but i does seem like too much for what you want to do. or use a cheaper cansiter filter that you can put just polishing pads in and run that a few times a month

Ldesp
11/18/2009, 07:05 AM
thanks for the feedback. it is a cool looking filter. I was attracted to the ease of use .. self primer, snaps and cartidge pads ect seems like it would be good for what I want to do just expensive. Looking at some other eheim canisters as well as they have those locally.

old salty
11/18/2009, 07:13 AM
Here is how I polish the water every week:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/olsaltybastard/Powervac.jpg

All I did was purchase a second pump; same exact one on the main returns (Mag12 in this case), some PVC fittings, a coke bottle, and a roll of filter floss. Having a spare main pump goes a long way in this hobby; it also doubles as the pump for polishing the water.

leeit2me
11/18/2009, 08:41 AM
WOW!. Cool idea!.:thumbsup: it's better then running a HOB filter.

Here is how I polish the water every week:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/olsaltybastard/Powervac.jpg

All I did was purchase a second pump; same exact one on the main returns (Mag12 in this case), some PVC fittings, a coke bottle, and a roll of filter floss. Having a spare main pump goes a long way in this hobby; it also doubles as the pump for polishing the water.

Ldesp
11/18/2009, 01:31 PM
haha pretty cool idea.. I might have to try that... Ultimately I would still like a canister to do the job but that is pretty creative I must say.

Anyone else have any other creative pics to share of how they polish their water?