PDA

View Full Version : my friends stocking list HELP!!!!

saltyj
11/18/2009, 08:20 AM
ok I have a friend who is getting a 150. he has never kept any fish tanks in his life and here is his stocking list. Someone please flame him and keep him from making rookie mistakes.

Stingray, sea horses, a clown, angelfish, puffer, lionfish, urchins. I am having a hard time typing without laughing out loud. PLEASE STOP HIM!!! :uzi: I am gonna make him read all your comments :eek2::hmm4:

namxas
11/18/2009, 09:39 AM
that stocking list is about a s BAD an idea as they come...looks like a case of "kid in a candy store syndrome" to me. your friend needs to stop and do LOTS of research, read a couple of good books, and do some thinking after that.

the SH and the clown will be lionfish food (assuming a volitans), not to mention that i've kept SH for years and they really require a tank set up specifically w/SH in mind, ESP. with a SH/SW novice. to be honest, SH are a real PITA if you want EZ.

rays: same as SH, not to mention a 150 is too small for most specimens.

the puffer and the lion will likely not get along, or the puffer will be eaten, depending on the species of puffer he's interested in.

many angels...not the easiest fish in the world to keep.

urchins: depends on urchin.

these comments are generalizations, but fairly accurate.

MrTuskfish
11/18/2009, 10:47 AM
ok I have a friend who is getting a 150. he has never kept any fish tanks in his life and here is his stocking list. Someone please flame him and keep him from making rookie mistakes.

Stingray, sea horses, a clown, angelfish, puffer, lionfish, urchins. I am having a hard time typing without laughing out loud. PLEASE STOP HIM!!! :uzi: I am gonna make him read all your comments :eek2::hmm4:

This is a joke, right?

evilspaz
11/18/2009, 10:52 AM
Take out the- Stingray, the Clown (Assuming he’s talking about Nemo), the Seahorses, the lionfish, and the urchins and it should work, Can your friend be a little more detailed on his fish list, instead of just righting Angelfish could he right the species he is interested in.

saltyj
11/18/2009, 11:13 AM
no I am dead serious he is sitting right here next to me. I am trying to convince him to relax and take his time, rather than kill all the species of the ocean

LisaD
11/18/2009, 11:23 AM
I think it's time to take a deep breath and buy a simple book of the basics to get the foundation of marine fish keeping. If he will use a live rock based system, there is not a better value or a quicker read of great advice than "New Marine Aquarium" by Mike Paletta. A great book for impatient people as it is a quick read, but all the advice is great.

All the listed fish are attractive, which is why people like me and Greg (namxas) have many many tanks. Those fish are not compatible in a single tank, and a 150 is too big for some and not big enough for others.

Realistically, your friend needs to impose a little self-discipline and pick the ONE fish he must have that will live comfortably in that tank. Then go through the list and pick hardy fish that will be compatible with the one fish and hardy enough to survive in a novice fish keeper's tank. Then think about what other attractive fish might be good in the tank. And limit the numbers. That means just a few good sized fishes.

evilspaz
11/18/2009, 11:27 AM
I think it's time to take a deep breath and buy a simple book of the basics to get the foundation of marine fish keeping. If he will use a live rock based system, there is not a better value or a quicker read of great advice than "New Marine Aquarium" by Mike Paletta. A great book for impatient people as it is a quick read, but all the advice is great.

All the listed fish are attractive, which is why people like me and Greg (namxas) have many many tanks. Those fish are not compatible in a single tank, and a 150 is too big for some and not big enough for others.

Realistically, your friend needs to impose a little self-discipline and pick the ONE fish he must have that will live comfortably in that tank. Then go through the list and pick hardy fish that will be compatible with the one fish and hardy enough to survive in a novice fish keeper's tank. Then think about what other attractive fish might be good in the tank. And limit the numbers. That means just a few good sized fishes.Big +1 on that, I have that book best 20$ ive ever spent in this Hobby.

saltyj
11/18/2009, 11:31 AM
thank you all keep the comments/suggestions coming please. I don't think he is convinced.

sean A.
11/18/2009, 12:38 PM
That book is great. Your friend is really clueless to Marine tanks. He needs to go online & really read up
On fishes that he like & there compatability. Otherwise he is going to loose a whole lot of money when fish
start dying and getting eaten by other fish

evilspaz
11/18/2009, 01:25 PM
thank you all keep the comments/suggestions coming please. I don't think he is convinced.What is your friend a complete moron? Tell him to get the book and get educated.