PDA

View Full Version : Looking for REALLY white sand.

firebirdude
11/18/2009, 08:51 AM
I recently moved and completely broke down my tank to, essentially, start over. I found a source on eBay that claimed to have the whitest sand possible. It also contained a video of them pouring it into a tank to show color and lack of cloudiness. I did look very white indeed. The store name was "West Mariculture".

Anyway, now that I have the tank/plumbing in place and I'm ready to buy sand, that eBay vendor seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. I search through eBay looking for like auctions thinking maybe they changed their name or something, but no such luck. I also googled their name and came up with a store westmariculture.com , but I'm unsure if it's the same person. I would think they would have that video they made on their website if it was them.

But anyway. I don't care who I buy it from. I'm just looking for some super white and super fine sand. I don't care if the sand is live or not. I've tried the Ocean Direct sand from drF&S.com and was extremely disappointed. Full of pieces of coral. Some the size of my entire finger. And EXTREMELY dusty. Any help will be appreciated. :cool:

thegrun
11/18/2009, 09:04 AM
I bought sand from them about 18 months ago, it looks great, very white. I would still wash it, I got quiet a cloud when I mixed it up. If you can find them again, it was a good buy both price and quality.

Wilberheim
11/18/2009, 09:05 AM
Best bet would be to get some "sugar sand" that is not live and rinse it very very well in some water. I just don't think its possible to rinse all of the dust out.

Iron Mike
11/18/2009, 09:06 AM
No not possible but it helps to get all you can out.

username in use
11/18/2009, 09:06 AM
To start with, all sand is going to have some dust in it and need to be rinsed thoroughly before putting it in your tank or youll have a cloudy mess for a week or more. I used the caribsea oolitic sand and it is very white, I also mixed in a bag of the oolitic fiji pink, and it is also pretty white.

YTBJ
11/18/2009, 10:49 AM
Wash and wash, it will still have dust to settle out. No matter the brand

Tom

firebirdude
11/18/2009, 11:42 AM
Ok. I understand the dust. I'm not worried about the dust. Just looking for the whitest most fine sand you guys know of/have used.

7Dragons7
11/18/2009, 12:04 PM
check out the Marco Rock sand

cbadrik
11/18/2009, 02:24 PM

second that but its fine sand

firebirdude
11/18/2009, 02:47 PM
second that but its fine sandSomething wrong with fine sand?

jamesdong009
11/18/2009, 02:51 PM

Third that. Plus you can get a 1lb sample shipped to you for $5.

firebirdude
11/18/2009, 03:05 PM
So looks like a lot of people use this sand? I don't mean to nit pick, but how white is it really? Because in the website pictures, it doesn't look white.
http://www.marcorocks.com/smartfiji/Bahama-aragonite-1-640x.jpg

Versus say...
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f131/AngelAmpil/Accessories/FineWhiteSand01.jpg

jimnrose
11/18/2009, 04:19 PM
I'm also looking for white sand. I used to live in the Jupiter (Fl) area and the sand on the dunes is white and fine (like sugar). I was down there last week (with buckets) but all the dunes are now federal and state preserves. The think the penalty is death with trial. So I came back wth empty buckets.

I'm told the original Florida sand is aragonite but the ocean sand has been moving south for 'many a year' and is mostly silica base except for the keys and some sand bars in south central area.

I'll keep looking. Jim

marclwheeler
11/18/2009, 04:45 PM
I got some from my local petsmart for like $20 for 30lbs i didn't think that was too bad and that was aragonite...

phenom5
11/18/2009, 05:00 PM
The think the penalty is death with trial. So I came back wth empty buckets.

Hey, at least you get a trial. I say go for it. If it was shoot on sight, that'd be a different story. :D

Looking for a good deal on some good sand myself. The Macro Rocks sand looks to be a really good deal, but some have said that it's so fine that it never really settles. Smallest movement from a fish, or a misaligned powerhead, and you've got sand flying everywhere.

njsurfcaster
11/18/2009, 05:45 PM
I like the color of Natures Ocean Aragonite Natural White #1 Live Sand and hope to find something very similar. They have a White # 0 that looks even brighter but this is from images on their site so I can't say from personal exp how it looks.

ReefiusMaxiumus
11/18/2009, 06:04 PM
So looks like a lot of people use this sand? I don't mean to nit pick, but how white is it really? Because in the website pictures, it doesn't look white.
http://www.marcorocks.com/smartfiji/Bahama-aragonite-1-640x.jpg

Versus say...
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f131/AngelAmpil/Accessories/FineWhiteSand01.jpg

Most of the sand that I've gotten has looked tan/beige, but once in the aquarium and under 14ks or PCs it has looked very white...lighting is another thing to think about.

Playa-1
11/18/2009, 08:34 PM
You could consider crushed marble.

jimnrose
11/18/2009, 09:32 PM
www.westmariculture.com site has a good pirce on white sand as well as live white sand with copapods.

firebirdude
11/18/2009, 10:20 PM
www.westmariculture.com site has a good pirce on white sand as well as live white sand with copapods.
lol You mean the site I quoted in the OP?

Anyway, I emailed that website's owner. He responded saying that, not only have they changed their name, but there was a glitch and he had no items on eBay. He said it is now fixed. Sure enough. New name is fijisandman.

danceswithfish
11/18/2009, 10:55 PM
I am pretty sure most arragonites are going to be pretty similar in color. It may look brownish in the bag, but once you blast it with some 10000k super bright lights its going to look white.

You might want to consider getting some serious flow in your tank. If you don't have great flow your sand isn't going to look so great in a week or two.

blakemiller1981
11/18/2009, 10:58 PM
I bought this sand on ebay awhile ago and its great and uber white. the company is the same as the website as they sent a flier with the sand. Im happy with it but as of now have a algae outbreak so its not so sexy lol.

jimnrose
11/19/2009, 07:20 AM
Firebirdude, sorry for not referencing your initial entry but I was all over the RC and internet that I didn't remember where I got the site name. Anyway I plan to purchase
in mid Dec.

firebirdude
11/19/2009, 07:27 AM
Firebirdude, sorry for not referencing your initial entry but I was all over the RC and internet that I didn't remember where I got the site name. Anyway I plan to purchase
in mid Dec.My apologies for sounding curt. I was just breaking your balls.:blown:

I'm leaving town today for the weekend, so I'll order it tomorrow. Just to make sure it doesn't get here on Saturday or something.:)

birddog486
11/19/2009, 03:39 PM
Something wrong with fine sand?

I'm not happy with the fine sand I have. I have a couple powerheads at the top of the tank pointing across and there is continuously a few grains of sand blowing around.

danceswithfish
11/19/2009, 06:04 PM
You could try and lower the powerheads and point them up. That should reduce the amount of sand blowing around