PDA

View Full Version : cracked acrylic

golfish
11/18/2009, 11:00 AM
Hey all,
The tip on the output line for my old Geo kalk reactor was clogged. The pressure built up and caused about a 3" crack running from the fill cap to one of the bolt holes. Its doesn't leak but since I have the time today I'm going to work on the tank. What can I use to seal the crack? I'm thinking Weldon 9

NoHooks
11/18/2009, 11:33 AM
Weld-On #3 is a very fast, clear, water thin, non-flammable, high strength, solvent-type acrylic cement. The bond is affected by softening the surfaces.

golfish
11/18/2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks NoHooks, I talked to the guy at the plastic shop, explained my problem, he suggested #3 or better #16...

Kind of wish I would have saw your reply before I left. Oh well, its glued up and ready to go...in 24hrs.

NoHooks
11/19/2009, 08:42 AM
NP. Sounds like you're leak is gone!

RokleM
11/19/2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks NoHooks, I talked to the guy at the plastic shop, explained my problem, he suggested #3 or better #16...

Kind of wish I would have saw your reply before I left. Oh well, its glued up and ready to go...in 24hrs.

40 over 16 all day ever day, no exceptions ;)

Give it a run not that you fixed it, and if you find yourself having issues put some 40 on it. You can apply it like a caulk over the crack on both sides.

psychostieg
11/19/2009, 09:13 PM
Put a little pressure on the acrylic to open up the crack...... Then drip Weld-on #4 over the crack liberally........ The solvent will be sucked into the crack, and when you let go of the acrylic, the crack will simply disappear....... Then quickly wipe the excess weld-on off with a rag. I have fixed many sumps this way..... The cracks are invisible..... If you however don't push a little pressure on the crack to open it up, the weld-on will only partially infiltrate the crack, leaving it partially repaired, and unfortunately visible.