PDA

View Full Version : question on plumbing

kzickovich
11/18/2009, 11:04 AM
I pump my water up from my basement using 1.5 pipe then reducing down to 3 one inch returns. All the returns are just under the water surface now to break siphon. Well I'm getting ready to set up my new tank and was wondering if all return lines have to break a siphon or just one of them do coming from the same pump.:rollface:

spleify
11/18/2009, 11:17 AM
Physics would tell me that all would need to break siphon. I may be wrong here, but I would suggest making them all the same length so they all break at once.

HTH

Good luck

Sisterlimonpot
11/18/2009, 11:25 AM
It all depends on where that split takes place. if the split is below the water line then yes Leif is correct you need to break all 3 siphons but if it splits above the water line than all you need is 1 to break the siphon.

kzickovich
11/18/2009, 12:05 PM
I forgot to mention on my new tank I'm going to be using a ocean motion 4 way. That's where my confusion comes into play. So with the 4 way do they all have to break?

Sisterlimonpot
11/18/2009, 12:43 PM
for the ocean motion you have to break all siphons, you never know where the valve in the OM is going to stop when the power goes out. if it stops on the one that is deeply submersed than your going to have a flood on your hands

Sisterlimonpot
11/18/2009, 12:47 PM
A 1/4" hole drilled into the 4 returns just below the water line will allow for the siphon to break, all you have to do is make sure the holes don't become clogged over time, so make it a routine to shove a toothpick through them to ensure proper operation.

If you do this than you can put the returns as deep as you want.

BTW, if this is for a closed loop system all my info is null and void