PDA

View Full Version : Yasha white ray experiences please

stingleyman
11/18/2009, 11:32 AM
Hi everyone i was wondering if those of you who have experience with this goby would mind sharing some input. i have a well established reef tank, about three years. i have a pair of false clowns, green spotted mandarin, blue hippo, and harlequin thrimp. i got this little guy from liveaquaria. only about an inch long or so. so i acclimated drip for over two hours. then i put him in. as expected he vanished immediataly. i didnt tun lights on till yesterday. i have been home and spent a fair amount of time watching but no trace of him. i realize some species take longer to adapt but starting to git those bad thoughts going on. So.... im hoping someone would share their experiences with these guys and maybe shed addintional light on the subject. thanks you much

noahm
11/18/2009, 11:44 AM
some gobies especially shrimp gobies will disappear and be seen only once or twice a year. They also have a habit of getting into overflows and liking to live there permanently. I wouldn't worry too much. It may get acclimated and show itself more, or it might not...

Oh yeah, they can like to jump as well. cover up.

stingleyman
11/18/2009, 12:02 PM
thank you. i had a diamond back one time a few years ago and it managed to jump out an area of a couple sq. in. precision. lesson learned though

eaglesrx
11/18/2009, 12:43 PM
Great little fish. Did you get it paired with a pistol shrimp??

It is an ideal fish for a nano tank or a larger tank with no other aggressive fish. If this criteria is met, then it will certainly come out more often.

i have a 28g nano. My yasha and pistol come out when they sense that I'm feeding the tank. They also come out around 6-7 when I feed the other fish.

Great fish and amazing to watch the symbiotic relationship.

HTH

stingleyman
11/18/2009, 01:14 PM
yeah i didn't get the pistol was thinking about. i have a pair of false perulas, harlequin shrimp, green spot mardarin and blue hippo. the yasha is only little over an inch. really none of my fish are mature in size beyond the clowns. from what i read the yasha does good without the pistol and will either set up in a cave or burrow his own home. just hope he is ok. really a beautiful fish and hoping to see him soon, nothing so far even when feeding

twinspots_goby
11/18/2009, 01:19 PM
I have two in my 225gal. Only saw them a couple days in the first week and no longer see them again. I hope they are still alive. Don't keep them in the big tanks. Nano is the best for them.

stingleyman
11/18/2009, 01:34 PM
thats too bad. hope they are ok too. i just worry about them getting enough food. i mean if you see them regularly, even once a month or so then you know they are, but no fish? and now your wondering if they are even alive. :(

Laddy
11/18/2009, 02:03 PM
I had one for a little over a year in my 10g nano. They have a tendency to create their "homes" in the sand right under rock, little caves, so I would look there.

However, they also can be jumpers, so watch out. Mine was.

stingleyman
11/18/2009, 02:12 PM
laddy, did yours spend much time out and about? just wondering if the big picture is that they are not the most social? i would be happy just knowing its alive. i know its only been a few days but..... time will tell. such is life i gues

stingleyman
11/18/2009, 05:28 PM
so basicaly, mixed experiences. they are fairly hardy from what i have read i guess.... anyone have prombems losing any when first introduced??? i had a couple clowns that didn't make it for some reason but most others been good......

stumpovrtyme
11/18/2009, 05:38 PM
yeah i didn't get the pistol was thinking about. i have a pair of false perulas, harlequin shrimp, green spot mardarin and blue hippo. the yasha is only little over an inch. really none of my fish are mature in size beyond the clowns. from what i read the yasha does good without the pistol and will either set up in a cave or burrow his own home. just hope he is ok. really a beautiful fish and hoping to see him soon, nothing so far even when feeding

I added my pistol first and my yasha about six months later. I never seen him at all until he found the pistol which took about a month and a half. Which I thought the pistol was dead cause I hadn't seen it in about a year. Now that there together I see them both all the time. I think it's a safety thing. The shrimp is basically blind so the yasha is its eyes, in return the shrimp structures the cave system so it won't collapse.

stingleyman
11/18/2009, 05:46 PM
yeah that makes sense.. i was a little weiry of getting the pistol cause i heard stories of their burrowing causing problems. as far as the structure.. would be bad for everything to collapse. how big is your shrimp? any way i could get a picture of peoples gobie,shrimp and cave systems????

stumpovrtyme
11/18/2009, 05:51 PM
yeah that makes sense.. i was a little weiry of getting the pistol cause i heard stories of their burrowing causing problems. as far as the structure.. would be bad for everything to collapse. how big is your shrimp? any way i could get a picture of peoples gobie,shrimp and cave systems????

Maybe the entrance. Mine has many entrances but only one open at a time. The shrimp is prolly inch and a half maybe same with the yasha.

stingleyman
11/18/2009, 06:00 PM
thank you. anyone care to share pics??