PDA

View Full Version : Triggerfish in reef, how aggressive are they?

plancton
11/18/2009, 05:04 PM
Im thinking which big fish can I add to my tank, I cannot longer add small fish due to unknown predator, why are triggers not considered reef safe?, If you have big rocks packed together can they still re arrenge them?, will they harm corals?, I can sell my clam if I have to.

My tank is 175 mostly sps frag reef tank, with 2 ocellaris in their RBTA which they never leave, 1 blue hippo tang, 1 sailfin tang, 1 cb butterfly.

I know blue jaws are not aggressive triggers, but I dont like them, other triggers are far prettier.

kluivertfan2
11/18/2009, 05:08 PM
Im thinking which big fish can I add to my tank, I cannot longer add small fish due to unknown predator, why are triggers not considered reef safe?, If you have big rocks packed together can they still re arrenge them?, will they harm corals?, I can sell my clam if I have to.

My tank is 175 mostly sps frag reef tank, with 2 ocellaris in their RBTA which they never leave, 1 blue hippo tang, 1 sailfin tang, 1 cb butterfly.

I know blue jaws are not aggressive triggers, but I dont like them, other triggers are far prettier.

I think it's because triggers like to snack on shrimp, clams, crabs, and snails.

droth335
11/18/2009, 09:13 PM
I have successfully had pink tail, blue throat and niger triggers in a reef tank with no issues...although the niger liked to take a swipe at my hand almost every time I had it in the tank!

blennymower
11/18/2009, 09:23 PM

Did you get rid of that thing that was eating your fish? or was it in your 55?

plancton
11/19/2009, 06:50 PM
Nope, its in the main tank and is an unknown predator, with no signs of crabs or mantis anymore, and no noises, it seems the predator could very well be killer poissonous snail. But it doesnīt attack big pray, I donīt know if poissonous snails choose victims based on size, otherwise it could be another silent unkown predator that doesnīt go for big fish.

Thatīs why Iīm thinking about triggers.

I need more replies, what about a picasso trigger or clown trigger?, I donīt care if they kill my snail population, I just donīt want them to attack my tangs, clownfish, anemone, or corals.

Did you get rid of that thing that was eating your fish? or was it in your 55?

MushRoomie
11/19/2009, 07:03 PM
There is different levels of "reef safe." I tend to use the terms "coral safe" and "invert safe." All triggers are coral safe save for the occasionally algae picking. Most triggers are not invert safe except for some like blue jaws, pink tails, blue throats, sargasms, and rarely nigers. But, no trigger is 100% safe so be aware!

jeff1225
11/19/2009, 07:59 PM
I agree, no Trigger is 100% safe. When I worked at a LFS, I found that every Trigger was so different in terms of what they ate/destroyed.

YTBJ
11/19/2009, 08:15 PM
I have a 2 inch clown trigger that destroys new snails introduced. Doesn't bother fish yet just snails.

mtisc323
11/19/2009, 08:54 PM
I had a clown trigger that decimated my snail population and then started nipping at my sps ... needless to say he didnt last long and he was relegated to my sump until I found someone to take him off my hands.

YTBJ
11/19/2009, 09:11 PM
How did you catch him?

Shekki
11/19/2009, 09:24 PM
I've had two Sargassum triggers. The first was the friendliest fish ever, liked to be pet. Lived happily with corals and smaller fish until he jumped. Replacement was really shy and would be bullied by the smallest fish in the tank.