PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Snails?

swivel
11/19/2009, 03:59 AM
Recently I've been noticing i have a whole bunch of snails in my tank. Funny thing is that i didn't even buy any. They only come out at night, does anyone have any idea what kind of snails they are? and if they are harmful or not to my corals?

Michael
11/19/2009, 06:06 AM
hard to be sure without a picture, i doubt they are harmful, in fact they will become the janitors of your tank, are they long shells or roundish shells? and no doubt only babies at the moment as well

olliefb
11/19/2009, 10:13 AM
post a picture because some of these hitch hiker might be eating your corals and might not be visible to you for now..

Toddrtrex
11/19/2009, 11:45 AM
If they look like the following picture, they are harmless little grazers (( I can never remember the name ))

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/tinysnails5.jpg

And for size reference, my blue Haddoni anemone and pink skunks,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/tinysnails4.jpg

Sisterlimonpot
11/19/2009, 11:59 AM
I have tons of tiny snails that come out at night. They keep the rock work immaculate. When I change out my filter socks I have to pull at least 10 of those guys out and toss em back in the tank.

shereth
11/19/2009, 12:15 PM
The little snails in a post a few above mine are collonista snails and are quite harmless; they seem to go through phases where you'll notice dozens (if not hundreds) of the little guys pop out of nowhere, and then hardly any for a while.

In my own tank, I see a lot of stomatella snails that seem to come out mostly at night. During the day I might see one from time to time, but turn on a light at night and I'll usually spot at least a dozen of them. Also harmless, helpful grazers.

Jaguar
11/19/2009, 12:17 PM
They could be baby Nerites too. I have some in my tank that over the year I've had the tank have grown to almost full size.

lighthouze08
11/19/2009, 01:38 PM
snails tend to come out at night, a lot of them came out of my sand