PDA

View Full Version : Feeding LPS corals

Gilbert Lowe
11/19/2009, 08:42 PM
I will be getting some LPS frags. To this point I only have soft coral. What is the best way to feed them? Will Frozen food work? I feed my fish three times a week and I feed them frozen food once. Is there a type of frozen food that can feed your fish as well as corals? I would like to feed the same schedule(frozen once a week) so I don't get a spike in nitrates and such. Do you need to target feed them? How often should I feed the corals? Thanks.

sportzfish
11/19/2009, 09:55 PM
You can pretty much feed the same type of food to the LPS as your fish, but maybe use a baster to direct the food into their vicinity.

mfd574
11/19/2009, 10:31 PM
I agree with sportzfish. I feed my LPS the frozen food that my fish get. Will feed with an extended baster and they just gobble it right up. LPS will "close down" when they get some of the food. They're just getting it to their mouths.

kaiserkid
11/19/2009, 10:36 PM
I agree with sportzfish and mfd574. I mix mysis and brine shrimp together and do my best to spot feed each head if possible using a baster (the same with my palys). I just have to watch out for my shrimp as they will try to steal the food from the everything!

powwer
11/20/2009, 12:07 AM
I agree with sportzfish and mfd574. I mix mysis and brine shrimp together and do my best to spot feed each head if possible using a baster (the same with my palys). I just have to watch out for my shrimp as they will try to steal the food from the everything!

Plus 1

I like to do the same and use my turkey baster to beat off food stealing monsters

z34fiend
11/20/2009, 09:39 AM
I don't target feed any of the corals. I just feed a mixture of mysis,formula 2flake,cyclops, dt's and sometimes microvert. I have never had any problems

quickgray02
11/20/2009, 11:58 AM
I feed mine the same as my fish as well and I also feed them kill.

olliefb
11/20/2009, 03:16 PM
thaw a cube of mysis shrimp, throw away the liquid, put in a small container with cycloeeze and about 20 ml of aquarium water cap it mix and voila...your lps couldn't be any happier..

Gilbert Lowe
11/20/2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks so much. How often should I feed? Once a week, twice a week? Much appriciated.

Frogmanx82
11/20/2009, 05:43 PM
Mine like pellets. I use a long straw (air line hard tubing) and drop a couple pellets in the top. They drift to the bottom of the straw and then the LPS gobbles them up. I also feed frozen, but pellets are very easy when using the straw. I also drop pellets on my ricordias.

sportzfish
11/20/2009, 06:49 PM
Mine like pellets. I use a long straw (air line hard tubing) and drop a couple pellets in the top. They drift to the bottom of the straw and then the LPS gobbles them up. I also feed frozen, but pellets are very easy when using the straw. I also drop pellets on my ricordias.

A long straw and small pellets, I like that idea! Totally overlooked that solution.

linnyesg
11/20/2009, 07:10 PM
That is a great idea. I will try this tommorow on my acans. Thanks foxman82.

Frogmanx82
11/21/2009, 08:41 AM
When the straw is wet, the pellets stick at the top. Just lower the straw until the water level reaches the pellets and they'll start sinking. I use 1mm New Life Spectrum.

motoms
11/21/2009, 04:45 PM
The orange package rods food is great

skimmer315
11/27/2009, 08:10 PM
i use a hand held food mixer and combine brine mystis esv plankton and direct feed via baster once a week

somdinwong
11/27/2009, 08:20 PM
thats a great idea with the straw

Blownsvt
11/27/2009, 08:49 PM
mine all seem to be doing just fine and i have never really spot fed them before. they just get some of the mysis that falls into them or pellets etc.

JPags
12/04/2009, 01:39 PM

Interesting concept. I am going to have to give that a try.

Falconeer
12/06/2009, 12:03 AM
You can pretty much feed the same type of food to the LPS as your fish, but maybe use a baster to direct the food into their vicinity.

+1

I have a frag each of hammer, torch, goniopora, and galaxea. All of them get some frozen mysis out of a turkey baster.

It works really well and from what ive seen, they take it really well.