PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a Powerhead on Suction Cups or the Like

skibum9884
11/20/2009, 09:14 AM
So, I want to put a Powerhead on the bottom portion of my overflow (on an Elos System 70). It will need suction cups or something similar however as the magnet attachment won't work that low.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

spleify
11/20/2009, 09:21 AM
Suction cups WILL eventually fail over time, and one day you will wake up to a sand storm in your tank. Why won't the magnets work that low?

skibum9884
11/20/2009, 10:26 AM
i can't figure out how to get a magnet that low in the overflow. it's not really possible to reach my hand down that low. the other option would be to attach it to the back glass, but then it would have to be able to rotate 90 degrees (attaching to the back of the tank, but moving water from left to right, if you're facing the tank).

mcoomer
11/20/2009, 11:03 AM
Kind of hard to picture what you're trying to do but if I wanted to use magnets to hold the pumps I simply tie a string to it, lower it into place, and then use the outside magnet to pull the pump to it's final position. I use the algae free magnets and couldn't imagine going back to suction cups. Magnets are that good!

arredondojason
11/20/2009, 11:35 AM
i get what you are saying I did it in my old tank. It really hurt my arm but i got it in there and used the korilla pumps. But if you really cant get your hands in there at all then you could get some korilla pumps that are the right size for your tank then put some superglue gel on the one side and hold it there till it drys onto the back glass then you could rotate it to almost any position you want from there.

skibum9884
11/20/2009, 11:46 AM
ahhh, i really don't want to glue inside of a $3K tank.....I'll try and figure out another solution. time to brainstorm.

arredondojason
11/20/2009, 12:33 PM
is it glass or acrylic.
if it is glass then you would be able to scrap it off with a razor blade after you remove them.