PDA

View Full Version : acropora hardiness?

gusmanda
11/20/2009, 09:51 AM
Within acroporas, are there certain species hardier than others? LFS recomends millepora over, say, echinata. Is there any truth to it?

sportzfish
11/20/2009, 09:53 AM
I have to agree with that, also the green varieties seem more hardy than the others. I have serious abused my tyree bali tricolor and no matter what it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. Does not have the best of color but has not had any die off.

gusmanda
11/20/2009, 10:06 AM
yeah, that's pretty much what my LFS guy told me when we talked about acroporas, to start with a green coral, and preferably a millepora.

stanlalee
11/20/2009, 02:52 PM
they can vary greatly from species to species. not sure about the colors. I know greens are often easier to keep green but I dont know that say turning brown/dull = less hardy or just uglier.

reefermadness85
11/20/2009, 03:55 PM
i was told in general acropora species with more dense polyp formations are the hardiest. hence millepora which has a lot of polyps being hardier then echinata which is more vacant of polyps. Having more polyps is beneficial because it is able to consume more food having more polyps. Hope that helps.