PDA

View Full Version : Algae on zoanthids

triguy
11/20/2009, 07:11 PM
I ordered some rainbow zoanthids and unfortunately they were held at the post office. My 2 polyp frag didn't make it, but my 3 polyp frag did, it just hasn't really opened up yet. I did some dips in revive. They appear to be bleached and have a green film algae that I cannot get to go away. this could be the reason for not opening. any suggestions on how to get it to go away? I've tried a turkey baster and placing in from of a powerhead, doesn't help.

Would dipping in revive or lugols do it? Maybe lightly use a toothbrush, I've heard of people doing this, but sounds kinda of dangerous, don't won't to kill them.

muhnandr
11/20/2009, 10:46 PM
I used a toothbrush the other night as I had a bit of a buildup on some. Worked ok, some are still bummed, some are just fine. Just use a soft brush and be very gentle

Cymaster007
11/21/2009, 10:13 AM
Ive used a super soft toothbrush and very very lightly removed some gunk that had gotten on my zoas. Just be gentle and take your time.

Reef Bass
11/21/2009, 10:30 AM
Yet another vote for a soft toothbrush and very gentle strokes (in one direction, not back and forth).

triguy
11/21/2009, 11:25 AM
thanks for the replies. I decided to dip in revive and turkey baste them, and I also used a soft toothbrush. They look nice and clean, now I just have to see if they will open up.