PDA

View Full Version : yellow watchman

tomaquar
11/21/2009, 07:22 PM
I have a yellow watchman that appears very healthy, energetic, nice yellow, bright blue spots. He however is develpoing white patches. Definitely not ich. Dosent look like velvet to me. There are patches on his side that look like the skin under the scales is getting paler.

Has anyone seen this? I dont think he is sick but this looks odd.

Thanks

cjj14u
11/21/2009, 07:43 PM
How long have you had him?

Pics?

tomaquar
11/21/2009, 07:51 PM
6 weeks, unfortunately my camera is broken and my phone doesnt have the resolution

dudley moray
11/21/2009, 07:52 PM
how can you be so sure it's not ich or velvet ??

tomaquar
11/21/2009, 08:03 PM
I recognize both of them

Ritten
11/21/2009, 08:05 PM
I believe Paul B who has the 35 year old fish tank thread, who has had many ywg said that males start to pale as they age.

tomaquar
11/21/2009, 08:14 PM
good, glad to hear it. Im trying to get some pics with my camera and will post if possible. On a side note, anyone know how long it takes for a deep sand bed to mature. My is 3 months old and I was concerned that nitrates might be causing stress. They still creep up to 5 or so. Also have a little trouble keeping pH about 8.

Does anyone see a link? How long till the sand bed fully matures?

Thanks

dudley moray
11/21/2009, 08:26 PM
nitrates at 5ppm thats pretty darn good i think mine are at 20 or so my fowlr is at 60 + any way deep sand beds aren't all they are cracked up to be i would dig around the archives for the article but in a nut shell they only reduce nitrates for a short time b efore they go south and start making hydrogen sulfide you might want to consider removing your dsb i'll look for a link for you
as for your goby could also be the start of a fungus a cleaner shrimp can take care of that if this is what it turns out to be
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1652103&highlight=deep+sand+bed