PDA

View Full Version : What to feed this little guy?

Nitrous
11/21/2009, 10:17 PM
Pet store said it was a 'Blue Line Rabbit Fish' - however I can not find anything about these guys on the internet. I am guessing they eat basically everything a normal rabbitfish eats? Brine shrimp be ok?

http://i46.*******.com/1r9bvb.jpg

BTW sorry about picture, my iPhone is terrible.

Pimps
11/21/2009, 10:24 PM
Cool fish! When i first saw the pic I thought it had a hook in it's mouth!

As for feeding I have no clue sorry :mixed:

Haddonisreef
11/21/2009, 10:26 PM
I would call them the goat of the sea! They will pretty much eat anything!

jenjen
11/21/2009, 10:57 PM
Looks like a decorated rabbitfish to me, in which case it will get up to around 11". I believe all rabbitfish are herbivores, so lots of algae & seaweed are in order.

shellzreef
11/21/2009, 11:16 PM
get him eating dry n frozen food, they both comes in a bunch of different types for herbivores A variate will be better for you and him in the long run.

Tylt33
11/21/2009, 11:51 PM
Be careful, they have poison spines that make for an unpleasant surprise.

NH81
11/22/2009, 02:43 PM
Cool fish! When i first saw the pic I thought it had a hook in it's mouth!

:mixed:

haha i thought the same thing. pretty fish though.

yourbedormine18
11/22/2009, 02:53 PM
he shouldnt be too picky

Korrine
11/22/2009, 05:41 PM
Fish Profile
Blue-Lined Rabbitfish,
Siganis doliatus

<TABLE border=1 cellSpacing=0 borderColor=#006699 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=style6 width="28%">Common Name:</TD><TD class=style6 width="72%">Blue-lined Rabbitfish, Coral Rabbitfish, Scribbled Rabbitfish</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style6 width="28%">Scientific Name:</TD><TD class=style8 width="72%">Siganus doliatus</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style6 width="28%">Size:</TD><TD class=style6 width="72%">Grows to 10 inches in the wild, smaller in captivity</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style6 width="28%">Distinguishing Features:</TD><TD class=style6 width="72%">Distinguished by several blue-lines on a yellow body. This pattern resembles a circuit board in appearance. Sometimes called a scribbled rabbitfish for this reason.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style6 width="28%">Origin:</TD><TD class=style6 width="72%">Range from West Pacific to Eastern Australia </TD></TR><TR><TD class=style6 width="28%">Natural Habitat:</TD><TD class=style6 width="72%">Found in coastal reefs, usually travel in pairs</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style6 width="28%">Feeding Requirements:</TD><TD class=style6 width="72%">These fish are relatively easy to feed. They require a diet rich in plant matter, but will also accept meaty foods. They will accept flakes, frozen or freeze dried foods and will also graze nuisance algae from the aquarium décor.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style6 width="28%">Difficulty Rating:
(1 = easy - 5 = hard)
</TD><TD class=style6 width="72%">When compared to other marine species these fish rate a 2. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=style6 width="28%">Aggressiveness Rating:
(1 = shy - 5 = nasty)
</TD><TD class=style6 width="72%">These fish are relatively non-aggressive. They will display mild aggression towards a new addition, but will rarely engage in violent behaviour. I rate them a 2.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style6 width="28%">Captive Requirements:</TD><TD class=style6 width="72%">These fish do best in established reef tanks. Large amounts of live rock for grazing are preferred. Standard reef tank parameters are optimal. A tank of at least 120 gallons is necessary to prepare for the potentially large adult size. Once acclimated, they are very hardy, and will live many years in captivity. Care must be taken when handling these fish. A stab from their spines can cause severe pain.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style6 width="28%">Optional Requirements:</TD><TD class=style6 width="72%">These fish will readily accept supplemental feedings of macro algae from a refugium.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style6 width="28%">Reef Tank Compatibility:</TD><TD class=style6 width="72%">Blue-lined rabbitfish are best kept in an established reef tank. They are safe when kept with corals and will ignore ornamental crustaceans and invertebrates. While there have been reports of individuals consuming corals, the vast majority will ignore these creatures in favour of the competing algae. Furthermore supplementation of prepared foods will make the fish less prone to pick at the reef. Attention must be paid to the potential large size this fish can attain, the accompanying increase in bio-load and the potential side affects this can have on the invertebrates in a reef display.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style6 width="28%">Reproduction:</TD><TD class=style6 width="72%">Rabbitfish become sexually mature after one year. They produce up to five hundred thousand eggs each season. There larval stage is three to four weeks, and will require both phytoplankton and zooplankton to feed. These fish hold potential for future marine aquaculture.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style6 width="28%">Notes:</TD><TD class=style6 width="72%">There are bout 30 species of Rabbitfish in total, many of which look very similar. They have an abnormally high number of spines on their fins, all of which are venomous. Care must be taken when handling this fish to avoid a pain-full stab. In the wild they usually travel in pairs, but are known to school on occasion. Juveniles and adults are harversted in great numbers for the food trade. They are considered an important food source in many countries.

This is one of my favorite fishes. In the past five years I’ve raised him/her from a 1 inch juvenile to an 8 inch adult. He/She greets me at the tank every day and always gets excited at the first sign of feeding. He/She is always front and center of the tank, and readily poses for pictures. The “microchip” like pattern is always noticed and admired by company in my home. This fish is a pleasure to own, and I certainly would never consider him/her as anything other than a great pet. No matter how hungry I get!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</B>

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-12/fish/index.php

Nitrous
11/22/2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the information all =]

Nitrous
11/22/2009, 10:32 PM
update: hes a cool fish, however he does some weird things... I thought something was wrong at first because he sits in one position at either end of the tank in the corner sometimes or will just stay under a rock... Hopefully he will be ok, he might have ich i believe.

Nitrous
11/22/2009, 10:49 PM
PROSALT Marine Supreme be ok to feed this guy or should I get something else? I havent seen him eat it but once in 2 days.

Dante_Slithers
11/22/2009, 11:28 PM
That is a beautiful fish. I have been thinking about getting one.

Jay

jimsplace
11/23/2009, 04:40 AM
If you have any zoa's keep an eye on him, I just got rid of mine he ate about $150 - $200 worth of zoa's before I figured out who/what was eating them. Didn't bother any corals just the zoa's.

Korrine
11/23/2009, 02:42 PM
Did you try soaking some food in garlic?

stanlalee
11/23/2009, 03:13 PM
should be fed 90% algae. 3"x3" algae sheet/nori clipped per day will sustain it well. it will get whatever else when you feed the other fish unless you have all herbivores in which case a small amount of mysis/meat once a week is more than enough and really not even that is neccessary.

rabbitfish can be exceedingly shy initially so I wouldn't worry about the reclusiveness (I would worry about the ich if it in fact has it).

phuzzykins
11/23/2009, 03:22 PM
My gold-spot rabbitfish didn't get the memo that it's an herbivore - it prefers meaty foods.

Because of this I offer nori early in the day which encourages it to graze, and then I feed the carnivores a few hours later in the day.