PDA

View Full Version : Max tank size w/o supporting joists?

Aristarchus
11/22/2009, 02:22 AM
I know there are a lot of variables, but... What is the max size tank you can have in your house before having to add extra support to the floor joists? The reason I ask, there is a pretty good deal on a 135 gallon acrylic setup locally and I'd like to get some opinions. Thanks

tkeracer619
11/22/2009, 02:38 AM
there are few homes standing that won't handle a 135.

nikon187
11/22/2009, 04:31 AM
We need more info on your floors. I have 230g upstairs with no movement when jumping without supports underneath but it is on a load bearing wall ( cement wall at that)

Aristarchus
11/22/2009, 05:22 PM
So when you mean load bearing wall, you mean that the wall has supports under the floor joists? Any idea how hard it would be to add support underneath a floor joist? Just a hydraulic jack or 2 and some shims maybe?

MR HONDA
11/22/2009, 05:58 PM
what is the height of the floor you are wanting to support i just supported my floor for my 265 i doubled up 2x6s and ran them the length of the tank front and rear and put floor jacks in each corner of the 2x6s to support the weight of the tank...

Aristarchus
11/22/2009, 07:15 PM
I believe the crawlspace is 40 inches from dirt to floor joist. Did you put a small sheet of plywood or something underneath the floor jack?

jbird69
11/22/2009, 08:14 PM
We really need to know...

1. What dimentions are your joists?

2. Are they dimentional lumber or I-joists? (The age of your home may answer this question)

3. What intervals are they at? 16" 24" Other?

4. What thickness and what material is your subfloor and your finished floor (your floor will be considerably stonger if it has hardwood, next in strength would be tile, then vinyl/underlayment and the least structural is carpet.

OR....

Post a picture of the spot you wanna put the tank with a description of where it is in your house. Then, open the hatch of your crawl space and stick your camera down ther and snap a picture of the joists. The crawl space should also reveal a cross section view of your subfloor. This will tell a lot and we'd be able to advise you a bit better.

The other variable would be if there is any rot in the sub-structure in the intended spot.

rkelman
11/22/2009, 08:53 PM
I picked up a couple post jacks at HD and stuck em under mine. Cheap / easy / strong.

Aristarchus
11/22/2009, 10:04 PM
jbird, I am not really sure about everything you asked, but I do know that it would be on my hardwood floors, and I believe my joists are 24" apart. My house was built in 1964 so I don't think they are i-joists, that would be nice :D I think I will be adding some support regardless just for the piece of mind. Thanks all

tkeracer619
11/22/2009, 11:46 PM
I built a 2x4 frame the same size as the bottom of the stand and centered it under the stand. Then put 4 1' square concrete blocks under the 4 floor jacks i placed at the corners.