PDA

View Full Version : MH not firing..

E.intheC
11/22/2009, 10:33 AM
:mad2:

Since I'm not even close to being a pro with MH bulbs/ballasts/fixtures, I'm going to post here for some feedback. :)

Here's my setup: (I bought everything except for the bulbs used): Hamilton 2 x 250 watt SE Metal halide/PC combo fixture. Magnetic (I think.. used, and no labels) ballast and a separate ballast for the PC's. I have the lights running through my Reef Keeper Lite (timer function only right now; on the 4th output). Radium 250 watt 20,000K bulbs.

Over the past few weeks, the MH bulbs have been firing up normally. I changed the PC's bulbs out due to flickering, and both sets flicker. This isn't a big deal b/c I wouldn't have them on when the MH's are, but it's still concerning as they still flicker.

However, this morning I turned on my MH lights, and although I can hear the ballast running, the bulbs aren't firing at all. It's been about 15 mins since I turned them off (via controller) and turned them back on, and still nothing.

What's the first thing you guys would check?

E.intheC
11/22/2009, 02:13 PM
So I figured out the problem:

I actually tried unscrewing the bulbs and putting them back in.. viola.. it worked ;) I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again in the future.

Sometimes the simple, overlooked solution is the key.

yourbedormine18
11/22/2009, 03:14 PM
good to see you fixed the problem

E.intheC
12/06/2009, 08:35 PM
..worked well until today.. The bulbs tried firing up again but nothing. No flickering... Just the noise of the ballast.

I tried taking the fixture down, unscrewing and then re-screwing the bulbs, but nothing.
Any advice?

jayk198030
12/06/2009, 08:58 PM
could be bulbs, ballasts, or some bad connection in or at socket. make sure bulbs are in good contact in socket. some times it can be the bottom tab in socket not making contact. it can be pride up to help make proper contact. hope you figure it out.

E.intheC
12/06/2009, 09:01 PM
thanks for helping out. I'm going to have to take a look (although I'm not really sure what I'm looking for..) I'm sure the bulbs are in there well, just not sure about the connections. I hope it's not the bulbs.. those were expensive, even at the discounted prices.

jayk198030
12/06/2009, 09:14 PM
make sure whatever connections you have anywhere are in good contact.(bulbs/wire connections)

also you say you have two bulbs that are not lighting not just one. if so how many ballasts do you have for the lights?(two ballast, one for each 250 or one dual ballast?

E.intheC
12/06/2009, 09:22 PM
... I checked the connections.. they look good. I tried my other bulbs and they fired up.. it must be the bulbs. Too bad I bought them from a good company that is going out of business.........

E.intheC
12/06/2009, 09:23 PM
also you say you have two bulbs that are not lighting not just one. if so how many ballasts do you have for the lights?(two ballast, one for each 250 or one dual ballast?

I have a dual 250 watt ballast

jayk198030
12/07/2009, 08:49 AM
sounds like ballast may be going bad. it may have something to do with the incoming power of ballast. try to get a hold of another ballast and try process of elimination.

I have a dual 250 watt ballast

E.intheC
12/07/2009, 09:43 AM
The thing that is leading me to believe its the bulbs is that the hamilton bulbs fire fine almost all the time, while the Radiums have the most trouble.

I'll have to try and see if I can borrow someone's ballast to see if they will fire up correctly

jayk198030
12/07/2009, 10:43 AM
sounds like your on the right path. How old are the radium bulbs?

The thing that is leading me to believe its the bulbs is that the hamilton bulbs fire fine almost all the time, while the Radiums have the most trouble.

I'll have to try and see if I can borrow someone's ballast to see if they will fire up correctly

E.intheC
12/07/2009, 11:19 AM
Thank you for the help. If any frustration is read in my posts, it's toward the lights; not to anyone here.

The bulbs are only a few weeks old. They fired up fine for the most part up until the most recent issue. I haven't heard of many problems with Radiums being unreliable, but I'm not ruling them out.

PaulErik
12/07/2009, 11:25 AM
It sounds like a lamp and ballast compatibility issue. The Radium 250-watt lamp is a pulse start type lamp and requires a ballast equipped with a lamp ignitor to reliably and properly light the lamp. Using a probe start (ANSI M58) ballast will cause unreliable lamp starting and in some cases will not allow the lamp to light at all. The Hamilton 250-watt single ended lamps are probe start. If the ballast case is not labeled or marked you should open the case. The ballast inside will have a label indicating the type. ANSI M58 is a probe start ballast. The only recommended North American ballast for the Radium 250-watt lamp is an ANSI M80 ballast.

jimmyj7090
12/07/2009, 11:27 AM
IIRC Radium bulbs are spec'ed to run on european ballasts. The closest match in US ballasts are the "HQI" ballasts. They should run fine on "HQI" ballasts, but inconsistently at best on the standard ballasts.

It's quite likely that you have "standard magnetic" ballasts in the hamilton fixturre (that's almost certain actually).

The bulbs and ballast are mis-matched, that's the problem.

Click this link and read through it. It describes the problem your having and the related ballast issue.
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=153

PaulErik
12/07/2009, 11:36 AM
The Radium 250-watt lamp is a European lamp designed for a European magnetic ballast. A North American ANSI M80 (HQI) ballast meets the same electrical spec.

E.intheC
12/07/2009, 01:34 PM
Those last three answers sound like the most probable reasons. Thank you for the help. Kinda wish it would be more obvious when you're purchasing bulbs