PDA

View Full Version : Help with auto topoff setup

Grizzy
11/22/2009, 01:21 PM
I'm about to order the double switch topoff setup from autotopoff.com and I want to make sure I have everything I'll need.

I have a Solana 34g btw.

The kit comes with the switches and power controller so I need to supply the following (right):

Water container (obviously)
A pump to put in said container and plugged into controller
Tubing to run from pump in to tank
freshwater :D

Also, can I use a MaxiJet 1200 for my pump? I estimate the water will need to travel around 45 inches.

Thanks!

Sisterlimonpot
11/22/2009, 02:04 PM
I never thought about using a maxijet as a pump to pump water from an ATO. But I guess if it's submerged in the container and stays primes I don't see a problem with that. I think the biggest concern with using a maxijet for such a small tank is that it's going to top off way too fast. but not really too bad. What I use for my ATO is an aqualifter pump it is quiet and slow enough to not turn on and off every 2 minutes.

HTH

rbergmandc
11/22/2009, 02:56 PM
+1 to the aqualifter.. on my 65g tank (3g topoff) i tried using a powerhead.. it fills too quick and then causes a siphon and the water doesn't stop..

Use the aqualifter!

malawinovice
11/22/2009, 03:48 PM
+1 on the aqualifter pump, some airline tubing and you are all set.

I learned the fancy blue silicone tubing floats, not great for pumping water.

Grizzy
11/22/2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Just checked out the aqualifter pump on autotopoff.com and it says in can only pump 30" which I don't think will work for my container placement.

I guess this one will work:

http://autotopoff.com/pumps/FT300/

indydog1
11/22/2009, 03:51 PM
i use a maxi jet 1200 to go up 6 ft across 30 feet and down 8 feet. i use a float switch to control when to add. i also run a kalk reactor on the same line. the pump stays on.
no issues to speak of in 1 1/2 years.

BradMugs
11/22/2009, 04:00 PM
The aqualifter 30" is a vertical lift - once it gets to that level it can pump for what ever distance you want level.

Grizzy
11/22/2009, 04:12 PM
The aqualifter 30" is a vertical lift - once it gets to that level it can pump for what ever distance you want level.

I'm not really sure what this means...could you elaborate a little more?

My topoff container will be in the stand. The tube will go through a hole in the back of my stand and then up and over the top of the back of my tank where it will pour into the back "sump area" that is divided from the main display (it's a solana all in one tank). That distance, from where the pump will sit in my stand to the top of my tank, is roughly 40" or so.

Are you saying that will still work?

BradMugs
11/22/2009, 04:25 PM
What is the vertical distance? the pump will have to lift the water? The aqualifter can only lift (push) it 30 inches vertically. If it has to go up 40" to clear your tank then you will need something stronger.

The nice thing about the aqualifter is it moves a smaller volume of water at a time allowing your floats to move slower shutting off the flow more accuratly. There is some lag time between the water dumping into the float area and the float shutting off so dumping a lot of water in the area at once can put more in than a slower flow due to the float not shutting off fast enough. Hope that makes sense.

Grizzy
11/22/2009, 04:31 PM
That does make sense.

It is roughly 40" vertically so it would be a no go.

BradMugs
11/22/2009, 04:40 PM
I'd just watch the flow when it turns on. Did you say your tank was 34 g. Just be careful you don't dump to much fresh in at one time.

I do love my top off unit

Grizzy
11/22/2009, 05:48 PM
I'd just watch the flow when it turns on. Did you say your tank was 34 g. Just be careful you don't dump to much fresh in at one time.

I do love my top off unit

I think I'll go a different route than the MJ 1200...something that isn't as strong I guess.

MAMGM
11/22/2009, 07:04 PM
I have that same ATO and use a small table fountain pump. Works great!

BradMugs
11/22/2009, 10:47 PM
I'd go with something that just makes the lift it needs to get the flow over the top.

kentlighting
11/23/2009, 01:20 AM
the aqua lifter would work for you. yes its a 30 inch vertical lift but on both sides, meaning 30inch lift on the intake side and 30 inch lift on the output side for a combined total of 60". the have mounting brackets on them so you can hang em where you'd like i have 2 of them and love em

ludnix
11/23/2009, 01:26 AM
I would get something smaller than the maxijet 1200, but I'm not a big fan of the aqualifters. They clog with kalkwasser very easily with the 1/4" line, have very little ability to lift the water very high, and I've had several die on me. Just get a small pump in the 300-600gph range and you should be fine.