PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a power backup for thier tank?

themastr
11/22/2009, 04:42 PM
Wanted to know if anyone has a backup for power failures. can you let me know what set up you have and how long it last for while the power outage is on?

Thanks
erick

nikon187
11/22/2009, 04:49 PM
lots of people run either a computer UPS ( Short term) or a gas power generator (long term) during power outages. Or the battery backup for the vortechs if owned.

dogfrog
11/22/2009, 04:58 PM
I have an APC UPS. Use to be used for a small office server. Generator is in the planning stage

albano
11/22/2009, 05:02 PM
I have a 'whole house' generator, but I have to be there to switch circuits and start it, so I have been looking into battery backup... http://www.indoorgenerator.com/index.php (http://www.indoorgenerator.com/index.php) looks very interesting, and not that expensive

My 450g upgrade on MR http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/63397-hundreds-corals-fish-free.html

bmxdad
11/22/2009, 05:02 PM
Generator, with vortech battery backup.

themastr
11/22/2009, 05:12 PM
I wanted to do a battery backup and run them in parallel with an inverter but deep cycle batteries are expensive. Also was wondering if anyone ever try to use those gas generator with a push button start attached to a relay to turn it on once the power goes out so it's automated. Do you need to prime the gas generator or will they auto start with a button. hope that makes sense.

thanks
erick

Richard Reefer
11/22/2009, 05:13 PM
I have an APC UPS, I couldn't tell you how long it lasts though because I haven't had to use it yet...

Luiz Rocha
11/22/2009, 05:16 PM
I am traveling for 2 weeks during Christmas break and have to start thinking about this, how big are you guys backup UPS? I have a 28g jbj with MH lighting.

themastr
11/22/2009, 05:18 PM
This is my reason also. Will be gone for christmas.

themastr
11/22/2009, 05:22 PM
Albano - from the look of your tank's size I'm guessing that's your lambourgini in your avatar profile Pictures. Nice tank. That's bigger than the one in the ZOO. LOL

erick

albano
11/22/2009, 05:26 PM
Also was wondering if anyone ever try to use those gas generator with a push button start attached to a relay to turn it on once the power goes out so it's automated. Do you need to prime the gas generator or will they auto start with a button. hope that makes sense.

You can buy a automatic/self starting generator,(usually natural gas or propane) but you will need an electrician to wire it up...the circuit must automatically close off from the power company line, so there is no 'feedback' of electricity. You don't need to be there, it's fully automatic. hope this is what you want to know

linnyesg
11/22/2009, 05:28 PM
I have a vortech battery backup. The indoor generator looks interesting. Thanks for the link.

preef
11/22/2009, 05:30 PM
I'll be purchasing an APC to run a powerhead soon.

themastr
11/22/2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks Albano

I'm guessing it's pretty pricy for a setup like that. I was hoping to get a gas generator to run the tank in case of poweroutage but also to take along when I go camping and such. having it stay at home in the case of a power outage is alot of money to spend. I guess it can also give my house power too. we will see the total cost.

Thanks again for all the info guys.

Erick

Marshall1385
11/22/2009, 06:21 PM
I've got a minuteman backup/surge protector... haven't actually had to use it yet tho so not sure how long it'd last

Saltyfin
11/22/2009, 06:50 PM
I'm really into car audio and the batteries I use for spl are kinetik batteries. I was thinking about setting up a ups with one of their larger gel cell batteries. I think it would be a better choice because wet cells release explosive hydrogen gas.

Curve
11/22/2009, 08:04 PM
My full house generator was $5200 installed and we never lose power. It was well worth it!!

dogfrog
11/22/2009, 08:24 PM
My APC ups is for one powerhead and heater only. Should give me about 8 hours for just the powerhead. but i need to test that first

Trolldoll
11/22/2009, 08:49 PM
My full house generator was $5200 installed and we never lose power. It was well worth it!!

Good luck. My friend has a Natural Gas Gen and when a Hurricaine Isabelle hit the gas was shut off.

Curve
11/22/2009, 08:58 PM
Good luck. My friend has a Natural Gas Gen and when a Hurricaine Isabelle hit the gas was shut off.

I bought a tri fuel one just for that reason. It also has a 50 gallon fuel tank that it can run on also.

gpask
11/22/2009, 09:06 PM
I run an APC UPS on my system, but only keep a couple of key components protected with the battery backup. On the APC web site you can plug in the wattage of the devices you want to keep running, the run-time you want, the input power (120, 240, etc.) and it will give you a list of the UPS devices and battery packs you'll need to meet your objectives.

Trolldoll
11/22/2009, 09:08 PM
:thumbsup:Living in the South East sucks during Hurricaine season.

saltydog64
11/22/2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks Albano

I'm guessing it's pretty pricy for a setup like that. I was hoping to get a gas generator to run the tank in case of poweroutage but also to take along when I go camping and such. having it stay at home in the case of a power outage is alot of money to spend. I guess it can also give my house power too. we will see the total cost.

Thanks again for all the info guys.

Erick

No ?? about it what you want is small Honda gas generator......VERY quite, easy to start and run AND can go camping.....

Trolldoll
11/22/2009, 09:28 PM
If you do get a gas gen get one big enough to power other things up to keep momma happy. Who cares how loud it is. When the power goes out around here half of my neighbors have gens. No reason I should spend extra cash on a quiet gen just to hear my neighbors.

preef
11/30/2009, 10:54 PM
I just bought an APC 1500VA XS UPS to run a Koralia 3. Problem is when running with the AC disconnected from the UPS the Koralia chatters. It doesn't like the stepped sine wave pattern of the UPS. What combination of UPS and powerheads are you using?

Eric the half-bee
11/30/2009, 11:22 PM
14 KW natl gas whole house gen. Living in FL w/ the threat of 'caines was an easy justification for the whole house unit.

chow
11/30/2009, 11:25 PM
Are you looking for something that will switch on automatically or can be used with some manual hookups? I've been thinking about getting a car battery with an inverter. I hear if I use a couple of 250W heater and a powerhead, it should last about 6 hours per battery.

preef
11/30/2009, 11:34 PM
I wanted something to switch automatically and run a powerhead for 6-9 hours if I'm not home. In the past I've hooked up an inverter to my car and let it idle. That ran my tank including my Koralias with no issues. The UPS I bought runs my Eheim 1262 return pump but the Koralias just chatter. The Eheim consumes more power than the Koralias so if I run that I'll only get an hour out of the UPS.

For some reason the Koralias didn't mind the modified sine wave out of my inverter but don't like the modified sine wave out of the UPS. I was wondering if anybody else found a magic combination of UPS and powerheads. I don't want to spend $500 on a true sine wave UPS. I don't want to spend $700 on a Vortech either.

terri_ann
11/30/2009, 11:37 PM
I use a gas powered generator...It's a big 'un so I have no problems running heater, skimmer, pumps, etc. as well as fridge... Whatever you choose, thanks for keeping your tankmates a priority ;-) !!!

Dante_Slithers
11/30/2009, 11:41 PM
I wish I did . A gas generator is my last big purchase.

Jay