PDA

View Full Version : to UV or not

NyReefNoob
11/22/2009, 07:55 PM
ok ive been contiplating buying a uv, do i really need it ? probably not, i have a full understanding that it can work either as a clarifier or a pest control. been looking at the current 25w or the 40w, would go on a total of 80g system. now for the output ive read somewhere to put it near the skimmer pump as the skimmer will help pull out all the stuff being killed off. opinions ? thoughts ?

NoHooks
11/22/2009, 08:25 PM
Actually, I spoke to an Emperor Aquatics rep yesterday who said it should be between the return pump from the sump to the display tank. You may have to tee it off that lins with a ball valve to adjust the flow through the UV to match it to the UV's recommended flow rate. The output of the UV then would be piped back to the DT or teed back into the returnn line to the DT.

rezaktp
11/22/2009, 08:42 PM
Just happen to have one for sale!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743783

ashish
11/22/2009, 09:20 PM
In my opinion, a UV filter (especially in a reef) is a must. I don't believe in medicating the tank or fish. before i started using a UV filter my fish would get ich and other diseases. soon as i installed a UV sterilizer the diseases just stopped completely. my current aquarium has been up and running for 15 months and my UV sterilizer started leaking 2 months ago so i removed it. convinced through other peoples suggestions that its not neccessary with proper husbandry i decided to give it a shot (esp because i upgraded to a oversized skimmer). 2 weeks ago my regal tang had 5 white spots on it. the same situation happened when i set up my tank wo the UV on. fish got sick. my regal tang is still very happy and eating like a pig and the ich has fallen off. i just ordered a Lifeguard UV aqua step which is sitting next to my bed. and tom i plan on hooking it up. I know the ich wont stand a chance when half of it will be killed; leaving the fish strong enough to fight the disease NATURALLY (as they would do in nature). It is a very small price to pay for preventing ich and keeping algae blooms in check. In my experience you really do not need to go with a hugh UV filter (esp if you leave it on all the time) - the slower the water moves through it the better. Its a grreat tool especially when you add new fish to the aquarium or for a QT tank. Believe me I dont care what any one says: having a UV sterilizer prevents diseases by allowing the fish's immune system to beat the virus before it is visable to the eye.

Toadally
11/22/2009, 09:33 PM
In my opinion, a UV filter (especially in a reef) is a must. I don't believe in medicating the tank or fish. before i started using a UV filter my fish would get ich and other diseases. soon as i installed a UV sterilizer the diseases just stopped completely. my current aquarium has been up and running for 15 months and my UV sterilizer started leaking 2 months ago so i removed it. convinced through other peoples suggestions that its not neccessary with proper husbandry i decided to give it a shot (esp because i upgraded to a oversized skimmer). 2 weeks ago my regal tang had 5 white spots on it. the same situation happened when i set up my tank wo the UV on. fish got sick. my regal tang is still very happy and eating like a pig and the ich has fallen off. i just ordered a Lifeguard UV aqua step which is sitting next to my bed. and tom i plan on hooking it up. I know the ich wont stand a chance when half of it will be killed; leaving the fish strong enough to fight the disease NATURALLY (as they would do in nature). It is a very small price to pay for preventing ich and keeping algae blooms in check. In my experience you really do not need to go with a hugh UV filter (esp if you leave it on all the time) - the slower the water moves through it the better. Its a grreat tool especially when you add new fish to the aquarium or for a QT tank. Believe me I dont care what any one says: having a UV sterilizer prevents diseases by allowing the fish's immune system to beat the virus before it is visable to the eye.

Did you add anything new to the tank before the outbreak?

dustinlclarke
11/23/2009, 12:07 PM

I agree I have a gamma 25 on my 90 gal and it does great