PDA

View Full Version : Which meds to use in quarantine

dixiedog
11/22/2009, 08:08 PM
I've found a million threads on the web about how to set up a QT tank - what size, what filter, rocks or no, sand or no, WC's or no, etc etc etc.

But what about meds to use in QT? I'm starting over right now, fishless for the moment, and I would like to re-introduce fish to my display, one by one, as disease free and parasite free as they can possibly be. This includes latent things like ich which fish can carry symptom free.

Is there a regimen commonly used by other obsessive-compulsives out there?? :D

J's Quiet Reef
11/22/2009, 10:11 PM
Currently using Cupramine (copper) for ich, Prazipro for parasites, and Maracyn 2 for bacterial diseases

marc price
11/22/2009, 11:32 PM
i only use a free copper ion Copper Sulfate for 14 days prophylactically followed by observation in clean drug free water. i also use Formalin either in a long term low level bath/Cu or short term dip/bath, if indicated.

i won't use antibiotics unless i know they're needed and i try to use a microscope to determine gram positive or gram negative to narrow down specific drug choice. about the same with prazipro.

this works for me but i've years of this under my belt and may recognize things others miss.

dipan
11/22/2009, 11:54 PM
i only use a free copper ion Copper Sulfate for 14 days prophylactically followed by observation in clean drug free water. i also use Formalin either in a long term low level bath/Cu or short term dip/bath, if indicated.

i won't use antibiotics unless i know they're needed and i try to use a microscope to determine gram positive or gram negative to narrow down specific drug choice. about the same with prazipro.

this works for me but i've years of this under my belt and may recognize things others miss.

How do you sample the diseased area, Marc? I assume you're talking about a sore on a fish or something like that ...

LargeAngels
11/23/2009, 08:08 AM
Two 7 day treatments of Prazipro along with Cupramine, then just Cupramine for another 4 weeks. Maracyn II if I see bacterial infections.

marc price
11/23/2009, 07:52 PM
How do you sample the diseased area, Marc? I assume you're talking about a sore on a fish or something like that ...yes and i try to get a scraping, sometimes easier said than done but for me such trouble is encountered so few and far between. i currently and since the start of this decade try to only get tank bred. haven't got a new fish in three years. my fish are all healthy so i don't think of this stuff very often, rather on a case by case basis.