PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tank w/ a cloudy eye

tawolcott
11/23/2009, 05:31 AM
So I noticed today that my yellow has one cloudy eye. He seems to keep trying to rub it on the sand.. Basic parms are 0,0,5 though I did have a small ammonia spike reading a few days ago (.25). Still eating like a horse, no other symptoms.. In a lightly stocked 90

thoughts?

LargeAngels
11/23/2009, 08:06 AM
Cloudy eye can be due to parasites (ich, vevlet or flukes) or water quality. Since it is rubbing it on the sand my first guess would be flukes. You can do a FW dip to see if flukes come off. If it is flukes then you need to treat all fish with Prazipro.

wooden_reefer
11/23/2009, 01:29 PM
So I noticed today that my yellow has one cloudy eye. He seems to keep trying to rub it on the sand.. Basic parms are 0,0,5 though I did have a small ammonia spike reading a few days ago (.25). Still eating like a horse, no other symptoms.. In a lightly stocked 90

thoughts?

Either fluke and/or bacterial infection.

You should never allow ammonia to spike in a DT. You had not cycled well enough or you have added too sudden a large emough bioload without augmenting nitrification ahead of time.

Never allow ammonia to be a potential problem in DT.

If a tank, regardless of size, has been lightly stocked for a long time after a cycle or after a weak cycle, there would be ammonia.

think about 2:1, 3:2, 4:3..., by 10:9 bioload increase of 10 units from 9 units, just a slight restriction in feeding would handle the extra bioload. Not true when going from 1 unit to two units of bioload.