PDA

View Full Version : Mystery and Hawaii Flame Wrasse Compatible

stonecold
11/23/2009, 11:11 AM
Hi,

My tank is a 180 gallons. I have a Mystery Wrasse for almost a year and it is about 3 inches. I want to add a paired Hawaii Flame Wrasses. Do you think that the Mystery will kill them or aggreviate them to the point where they will jump out of the tank?

albano
11/23/2009, 11:28 AM
I don't think there will be a problem...I have added other flasher/fairy wrasses to my 170g tank with established mystery. If worried, remove mystery before adding flames, do a little re-aquascaping, then add them all back. Tank should be covered, REGARDLESS!

snorvich
11/23/2009, 11:33 AM
Generally, I feel that mystery wrasses and fairy/flasher wrasses are not a good combination. If you tank is not covered, any of these fish will eventually leave.

Dejavu
11/23/2009, 12:23 PM
I have 5 flame wrasse with a Mystery Wrasse without issue. If you have enough rock for them to hind in you should be fine.

stonecold
11/23/2009, 12:43 PM
I have 5 flame wrasse with a Mystery Wrasse without issue. If you have enough rock for them to hind in you should be fine.

I don't have alot of rocks in my tank. I have a very open aquascape. I think I will pass on adding the wrasses. I would hate to find a $200 pair of Hawaii Flame wrasses on my carpet.

stonecold
11/23/2009, 12:45 PM
I don't think there will be a problem...I have added other flasher/fairy wrasses to my 170g tank with established mystery. If worried, remove mystery before adding flames, do a little re-aquascaping, then add them all back. Tank should be covered, REGARDLESS!

I've thought about covering the tank, but have always been concerned that this will block the light's penetration.

albano
11/23/2009, 01:05 PM
I've thought about covering the tank, but have always been concerned that this will block the light's penetration.

its not a question of IF they'll jump, it's WHEN
try the pond netting, does not block light, there are threads on RC if you want to get fancy, and get DIY 'screen frames' from Home Depot/etc, cost to build...probably less than $30, way less than a new mystery wrasse!
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15872

I think I show my screen covers on my new 450g build thread on MR
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/63397-hundreds-corals-fish-free.html