PDA

View Full Version : old diy calcium reactor build

S2minute
11/23/2009, 11:24 AM
A few years ago there was a guy that built his own CA reactor using Whirlpool "whole home prefiltration" canister. It turned into a split thread. Does anyone know where i can find this thread please?

WmTasker
12/20/2009, 09:36 PM
Are you still looking for information. Im the guy that built the reactor.

WmTasker
12/20/2009, 09:55 PM
I just uploaded about 25 pics for you to view in my gallery. I don't know how much help I will be, since I haven't made in about 3 years.

Click Here (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/album.php?albumid=949)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=949&pictureid=5679

WmTasker
12/20/2009, 09:58 PM
Here is a link to the original thread. None of the pics are there, that why I uploaded them for you.

$200, my day off, and my new diy calcium reactor! (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587186)

lordofthereef
12/21/2009, 04:41 AM
What size system would you say that is rated for?

WmTasker
12/21/2009, 07:56 AM
What size system would you say that is rated for?

I had it on my 120 gallon and it had no problems keeping up.

cilyjr
01/04/2010, 03:12 PM
i will be building this one this week..thanks

WmTasker
01/04/2010, 07:34 PM
i will be building this one this week..thanks

Sweet. You'll have to post some pics. Let me know if you have any questions. Are you using a controller on it? Milwalkee?

cilyjr
01/04/2010, 08:59 PM
i will be using a controller i am not sure what brand yet. my lfs guy is a bit of a friend and has one for about $80 so i will most likely purchase that one. and i do and will have a few questions.

in your model the pump ( i will most likely use a mag 5 as i have an extra) pushes the water from the bottom via the tube in the canter, but i was talking with a friend who said it would be more effective running the opposite way by pulling water up through the center. do you feel it would have more of an issue clogging running that direction?

WmTasker
01/04/2010, 09:10 PM
I was afraid of sucking reactor media into the pump. So I never tried to have the water pulled down through the media.

I took one of the elbow of the canister and replaced it with a 'T'. This allowed me to monitor the pH inside of the canister.

cilyjr
01/04/2010, 09:27 PM
ok so your ph probe for the controller was inserted into the T?
also is it necessary to have some way to control the flow from the maxijet into the unit? maybe a split on the outlet (i have never used a calcium reactor before)? or is regulating the effluent with a quick connect valve enough? that is what you used? correct? i also noticed that you changed where you added the co2 from the elbow to the intake of the pump maybe that is answered later in the other thread i am at about page 5

WmTasker
01/05/2010, 04:12 AM
I just used a valve on the tube coming out of the reactor to control the flow. I put the CO2 input on the input of the pump so the bubble would get cut up in to lots of little bubbles by the pump. this just helped it disolve faster.

lwolfe44
01/05/2010, 07:56 AM
i think i will try this one

cilyjr
01/05/2010, 08:51 PM
i am done and leak testing. not hooked up to the co2 yet.
i was surprised at how long it took to bleed out the air bubbles. did that happen to you?
also how fast do you let the effluent pour out?

WmTasker
01/05/2010, 09:49 PM
my filter canister had a red vavle on the top of it. So I used it to bleed the air out of the canister. Also, If I remember right, the top of the canister has some ribs in it that would trap air, I eith cut them out or put holes in them where they connected to the lid.

For the flow, You have to keep it fast enough so that the water doesn't become stagnant inside. But slow enough to allow pH to adjust and not to put too much calcium/Alk in the reef. I know once I got the system bled of air, I closed the system valve to allow no flow to the tank. I just let the pump circulate the water in the canister till the pH got to what I set it to. Then I started to adjust the flow up each day till my calc/alk tested good in the reef and the reactor was able to keep a good flow. I think I have the valve coming out about closed about half.

cilyjr
01/06/2010, 10:44 AM
yeah ok. i will look at the ribs. i did try to use the red button to bleed it a bit with little success. also i am dissatisfied with the mag 5 and think i will go buy a smaller pump today.

also the filter has stainless threads in it. did you notice any rust after long term use?

WmTasker
01/06/2010, 12:56 PM
I didn't notice any rust after a year. But I haven't seen the one I made in a long time. I just know that it is still up and running. As far as pump, I have always had great luck with mag drives as return pumps for sumps. I have only used the little giant on the reactor and it worked great.

cilyjr
01/06/2010, 02:48 PM
it is not that i dont like mag pumps..i have 4 of them... i am thinking that it might be a bit large for such a small reactor. i will mod out the top of the container tomorrow and see what changes before i change pumps.
also i noticed that it looked like you added a 2nd chamber to your at some point using a 2nd home filter is that correct?

thanks by the way for answering my questions. i will get the pics out tonight or tomorrow

WmTasker
01/06/2010, 05:02 PM
As the water come through the second chamber it allows the pH to come up some. Not alot, but every little bit helps.

cilyjr
01/07/2010, 07:07 AM
i was thinking last night, rather then cutting out the ribs (6 in total) if i used aquamend to fill them i could then shape the top to angle toward the bleeder valve. or possibly cut them out some then use the putty to shape. what do you think ?

WmTasker
01/07/2010, 12:57 PM
Sounds like alot of work. But its your build. as long as it works.

cilyjr
01/07/2010, 08:33 PM
up and running. having some trouble fine tuning the co2 i am doing a bubble every 2 seconds as of now.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z43/cilyjr/IMG_7288.jpg

WmTasker
01/07/2010, 08:36 PM
Very Nice. Did you get a pH controller to control the sylinoid on the CO2 tank?

cilyjr
01/07/2010, 08:43 PM
not yet...i will in a few weeks..for now i will use my ph moniter to check the effluent ph level by dripping it into a cup...
i need to call milwaukee to get some clarification on this co2 regulator i cant seem to get a consistent bubble but the tank i have is almost empty perhaps that has something to do with it.

WmTasker
01/07/2010, 08:48 PM
if I remember right, I had a problem getting my bubbles dialed in. That is why I got the Milwalkee sms122 to controll the pH. Once you get the controller setup, it won't matter what you have the bubble count set at. I think I set it to something like a bubble every 1-2 seconds and forgot about it with the controller.

cilyjr
01/09/2010, 11:17 AM
everything is all set. thanks for the help. i think i will add the 2nd chamber now i think it will be a 10 minute mod....

budman0418
01/09/2010, 02:52 PM
bump

JaredWaites
01/09/2010, 11:04 PM
WmTasker:

Where did you put the probe for your controller? In the reactor or effluent?

cilyjr
01/10/2010, 07:20 AM
i believe he told me that he eventually replaced the left side with a T fitting and came down from the top. i am gonna do the same with a t fitting and put a plug on the top and drill it out and put one of these in place (http://www.marinedepot.com/In_Line_Probe_Mounting_Gland_w_Compression_Fitting_Monitor_Controller_Accessories-Aquadyne-OP3171-FITEMOAC-vi.html).

WmTasker
01/10/2010, 09:14 PM
i believe he told me that he eventually replaced the left side with a T fitting and came down from the top. i am gonna do the same with a t fitting and put a plug on the top and drill it out and put one of these in place (http://www.marinedepot.com/In_Line_Probe_Mounting_Gland_w_Compression_Fitting_Monitor_Controller_Accessories-Aquadyne-OP3171-FITEMOAC-vi.html).

This is exactly what I did.

S2minute
11/22/2010, 06:20 AM
Oh MAN!...i`m sorry WmTasker. I had gotten myself so tied up in a new LED hood build that i totally forgot about this thread :( Think you can repost your pics please?