PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys seed your macro rock?

lougotzz
11/23/2009, 09:48 PM
Ok, lol, ive been in every direction there is on rock. Ive thought of TBS rock, PA un cured LR, cured LR, and now macro rock. Macro rock is very craggly, and wont give me any bad hitch hikers, but its completely dead. How do you guys seed it? If I didnt want to use LR how would I do it?

Gilbert46
11/23/2009, 09:56 PM
Nows a good first post as any. I've had 150lbs of base rock in a 50g rubbermaid bin with a heater and skimmer and koralia for 3 months. I seeded with some rubble and sand from my fuge, and when I water change I put my old tank water in my rubbermaid and then throw the rubbermaid water out. I feed the tank a little a couple time week. The base rock is indistinguishable from the seeding rock, trates, trites and ammonia are all zero. I had to move it a few weeks ago and the rocks were literally full of critters. Rock goes in the 150g in a few weeks.

kcbonsai_matt
11/23/2009, 10:03 PM
If you don't already have a tank, find a local club or LFS and see if you can get a cup of sand. You might also buy one or two nice rocks to add to the macro rocks. Or, just live with a longer cycle and you'll be up and running soon enough.

If you do have an existing tank, the +1 to Gilbert46's suggestion.